Associate Professor and Assistant Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, 2021
Associate Professor and Assistant Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, 2021
College/School/Unit: School of Information
Posted: Oct 9, 2020
Apply By: Open until filled
The School of Information at the University of Texas at Austin invites applications for the Assistant Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to start in Fall 2021. The Assistant Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion reports directly to the Dean and will be responsible for leading the school effort to establish a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for our faculty, staff, students and alumni.
This position is a tenured position with the rank of Associate Professor and will have a reduced teaching load and summer compensation for the administrative role as an assistant dean. We are seeking an established exceptional scholar and administrator with experience to create opportunities for diversity, equity, and inclusion. Areas of research and teaching focus are open, but should complement the existing strengths of the iSchool. The Assistant Dean role is a 4-year term and can be renewed. At the end of the holder's service as Assistant Dean, the full-time tenured-faculty position will continue.
- Experience with diversity, equity, and inclusion in a higher education institution
- Familiar with federal, state and local policies related to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information
- Candidates must be eligible for appointment at the Associate Professor level
- Candidates must hold a doctorate degree in a field that is relevant to their area of research and be able to articulate clearly in their application materials how they complement the iSchool's core areas of focus listed at https://www.ischool.utexas.edu/research/research-areas-groups
- Take a leadership role in enhancing the iSchool's support for diversity, equity, and inclusion for faculty, staff, students, and alumni
- Work with the iSchool to enhance diversity, equity, and inclusion in hiring, promotion, and admissions processes
- Work with faculty to identify opportunities to diversify the curriculum
- Monitor and regularly report diversity, equity, and inclusion data for the iSchool
- Serve on appropriate school and university committees
- Other duties as assigned
- Competitive 9-month salary with excellent benefits
- 1 annual course reduction
- 2 months summer salary spread across the summer
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. We will begin to review applications and interview candidates on November 12, 2020.
For this position, required materials include:
1) Current CV that clearly demonstrates your experience in efforts related to diversity, equity, and inclusion
2) Names and contact details of 4 references (no letters are required at this time - references will only be contacted for finalists, and only after consultation with the candidate)
3) A cover letter focused on articulating your fit with the UT Austin iSchool and also addressing the following questions:
- What are the specific strategies that you have used to manage the issues related to diversity, equity, and inclusion among faculty, staff, and students?
- What steps would you take to develop an inclusive and diverse environment at the UT Austin iSchool?
- How could you align your efforts related to diversity, equity, and inclusion with our university and local communities?
4) A research statement and a teaching statement demonstrating excellence in areas complementing the existing strengths of the iSchool
5) A diversity, equity, and inclusion statement: Discuss a diversity, equity, and inclusion project, initiative, or opportunity you are particularly proud of initiating and leading for your institution and how you plan to identify and develop similar opportunities at the UT iSchool
Questions about this position may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact Prof. Ying Ding at email@example.com.
About the UT Austin iSchool
The goal of the UT Austin iSchool is to be the premier research and education program for the 21st century field of information, where we are changing the future by engaging the present and preserving the past. Research and teaching at the iSchool changes the ways that we interact with information and technology, changes how information can make the world a better and fairer place, and changes the ways we protect and preserve our collective memory. For more information about the iSchool, see https://www.ischool.utexas.edu/about-the-ischool.
The UT Austin iSchool is a founding member of the international iSchools organization (https://ischools.org/), and has a long history of interdisciplinary scholarship and research focused on the human, social, cultural, and technical aspects of information. Our program is consistently ranked among the top programs in information internationally. We are a stand-alone school with strong connections across the university and with other institutions nationally and internationally; we are particularly interested in applicants who will further strengthen and extend our collaborative network. We offer an ALA-accredited Master of Science in Information Studies as well as degrees at the undergraduate and PhD levels. Our Master of Science degree in Information Security and Privacy is offered jointly with the UT Center for Identity. For more details on our current degree offerings, see https://www.ischool.utexas.edu/programs.
UT Austin has an internationally distinguished faculty making it one of the world's leading research universities. UT Austin embraces interdisciplinary research, and is the home to more the 200 dedicated research units and centers. For more information on UT Austin, see https://www.ischool.utexas.edu/about/about_ut_austin.
Austin is a city bursting with entrepreneurial spirit, and a passion for discovery. Austin has a vibrant, internationally renowned music, film, and art scene, along with a thriving economy that leads the way in the technology, engineering, and health care sectors. It is a city with natural beauty in abundance, with a glittering river that runs through the center of the city, year-round sunshine, and a location in the picturesque Hill Country of central Texas. Austin is a creative center that attracts the best and the brightest from around the world. Often referred to as the Live Music Capital of the World, Austin hosts major annual events such as the Austin City Limits Music Festival and South by Southwest (SXSW), which includes Education, Film, Music, and Interactive Festivals. Austin serves as the corporate headquarters for Fortune 500 companies such as Dell, Whole Foods, and ABM Industries, plus successful tech start-ups such as Tivoli, Hoover's and more recently, SparkCognition, data.world, Indeed.com, Spiceworks, and WP Engine. Austin also hosts research and development offices for major technology-oriented companies such as Amazon, AMD, Apple, Cisco, eBay, Facebook, Freescale, Google, IBM, Intel, Oracle, Samsung, and Texas Instruments, who have established major operations in Austin to draw from the highly skilled talent the university produces. Savills World Research ranks Austin #1 in the Savills Tech Cities Index. U.S. News and World Report rated Austin #1 in its Best Places to Live list. Expedia ranks Austin #1 in its 21 super cool US cities list. More information on Austin can be found at https://www.ischool.utexas.edu/about/about_austin.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The University of Texas at Austin, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
To apply, visit https://faculty.utexas.edu/career/65414