Assistant Professor Exercise and Sport Science (Health Disparities, Wellness, & Racial Equity)
The College of Arts and Sciences at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is recruiting up to six outstanding tenure track faculty to deepen and expand research and teaching related to racial equity, in parallel with two searches that address historical aspects of American slavery. We seek highly talented faculty whose research and teaching will make transformative contributions to the major themes of 1) Health, Wellness, and Equity in Communities of Color and 2) Black and Indigenous Families and Communities, with a preferred emphasis on U.S. populations. Searches in the departments of Biology, Communication, Economics, Exercise and Sport Science, Psychology & Neuroscience, and Sociology will contribute to this initiative. Across these searches, we aspire to recruit faculty who are doing innovative, intersectional, and high impact work that will diversify and enhance our research, teaching, and public outreach missions.
The Department of Exercise and Sport Science (EXSS) invites applications for a 9-month tenure-track Assistant Professor faculty position in the area of Health Disparities, Wellness, and Racial Equity.
Successful candidates will demonstrate expertise in enhancing health, wellness, and racial equity among disadvantaged groups by addressing wellness and health disparities through social, behavioral, and/or physiological science. Potential applicants should have a strong interest in developing impactful collaborative opportunities within the department and across the greater UNC community, while fostering a climate that values inclusion and equity in all its forms.
Applicants should have a record of scholarly productivity and research that aligns with the mission of the department of EXSS, particularly in underserved communities.
- Serve as a mentor to diverse undergraduate and graduate students
- Establish and grow a focused, independent research line
- Seek extramural/intramural funding in a field related to health disparities, wellness, and racial equity
- Teach undergraduate and graduate courses related to Exercise Science and Kinesiology
- Serve as a research advisor and/or committee member for undergraduate and masters students in Exercise & Sport Science
- Participate as a core faculty member and mentor in our Human Movement Science PhD (preferred)
- Perform other responsibilities and duties as may be assigned by the department Chair.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A doctorate in Kinesiology, Exercise Science, Public Health, or related field is required
- Record of, or strong potential for, securing extramural research funding
- Record of research publications on the intersection of wellness, health disparities, and/or race, racism, & racial equity
- Interdisciplinary and translational research agenda
- Collegiate-level teaching experience is desirable
- Knowledge and desire for culturally responsible pedagogy appropriate for STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics) with respect for diversity and richness in human experience
Qualified applicants should apply online at http://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/183712. The application should include the following: 1) letter of application, 2) research statement, 3) teaching statement highlighting the candidate’s teaching and mentoring philosophies, and 4) complete academic curriculum vitae. The application materials should reflect the candidate’s commitment to the Department’s goal of establishing a culturally and intellectually diverse environment. Applicants are also required to identify the names, titles/positions, email addresses, and phone numbers of four (4) professional references who may be contacted by email with instructions for submitting recommendation letters. Review of applicants will begin 30 days after the posting open date and continue until the position is filled.
For additional information, please contact Dr. Abbie Smith-Ryan, Search Committee Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: Review of applications will begin 30 days after posting and continue until the position is filled.
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is a major research university in the University of North Carolina System with student enrollment exceeding 29,000 students. The Department of Exercise and Sport Science (exss.unc.edu) supports an undergraduate program of over 1,200 undergraduate majors with three specialization areas (Exercise and Sport Science, Fitness Professional, Sport Administration); a Master of Arts graduate program enrolling ~60 students also with three specializations (Athletic Training, Exercise Physiology, Sport Administration); and a doctoral program in Human Movement Science in partnership with the UNC-CH School of Medicine (hmsc.unc.edu).
Equal Opportunity Employer:
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Chapel Hill
- Health & Medicine Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Chapel Hill
- Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology & Physical Education Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Chapel Hill
- Other Health & Medicine Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Chapel Hill