Head of Education and Outreach Services
Working Title Head of Education and Outreach Services Department Steely Library Full Time or Part Time? Full Time Position Number 30011125 Commitment to Inclusive Excellence
Northern Kentucky University ( NKU ) seeks excellence by enriching its educational environment and culture through the diversity of its administration, faculty and staff and by embracing inclusiveness, equity, and global awareness in all dimensions of its work. NKU is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action institution. We encourage applications by members of diverse groups and by persons with a demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity and experience in achieving goals relative to inclusive excellence.
Purpose of Position
The Education and Outreach Services, Department Head is a newly envisioned position that leads the W. Frank Steely Library’s efforts in planning, implementing, and managing an active, comprehensive information literacy and outreach program that meets the educational needs of the campus. This is a unique opportunity to shape and lead the library’s growing educational role. Initiatives of strategic interest revolve around information literacy instruction and outreach to first-year, transfer, and graduate students, the university’s Quality Enhancement Plan, GEARUP with Information Literacy, and the online bachelor’s degree program in library informatics.
The Department Head leads a team of six library faculty and reports to the Dean of the Library. The successful candidate is a dynamic, student-focused educator with demonstrated leadership skills, who continually transforms and assesses education and outreach services by using quantitative and qualitative data to inform planning while actively monitoring the campus curriculum. With enthusiasm, the Department Head will continue to build an understanding of the library’s role in advancing the educational mission across campus. This position serves on the Library’s leadership team and will contribute to the development and implementation of the Library’s vision and goals.
The W. Frank Steely Library provides a wide range of library services to support the University’s commitment to its Success by Design strategic framework, which promotes student success by embracing inclusiveness, equity, global awareness, and academic needs of students and faculty in each academic college. Library faculty and staff have enhanced traditional services to better address 21st century information needs and are collaborative partners across campus. The library’s twenty faculty members and fourteen staff members are leading the implementation of NKU’s campus-wide Quality Enhancement Plan on Information Literacy and newly created digital repository, and offering an online Bachelor’s degree in library informatics.
NKU is a public comprehensive university located in the Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati, Ohio metropolitan area. The university delivers innovative, learner-centered education and engages in impactful scholarly and creative activities, all of which empower students for fulfilling careers and meaningful lives while contributing to the social and economic vitality of the region. NKU has almost 14,000 students, over 2,000 faculty and staff. It offers 79 undergraduate degree programs, master’s degrees in 21 disciplines, graduate certificates in 15 areas, two doctoral programs, a law degree, and in a partnership with the University of Kentucky and St. Elizabeth Hospital opened a medical school in the fall of 2019.
Leadership in Instruction & Outreach:
• Supervises a team of librarians responsible for implementing instructional services and outreach, including workload distribution, goal setting, performance evaluation, teaching observations, and professional development.
• Continues to build and implement a programmatic instruction plan for both undergraduate and graduate programs, including face-to-face and virtual modes of delivery.
• Continues to build on existing campus outreach activities, including student, faculty, and staff orientations, campus-wide events, and events promoting library services and resources.
• Leads the coordination with campus partners to integrate instructional services throughout campus programs.
• Leads the Bachelor of Library Informatics program in partnership with the College of Informatics, meeting accreditation requirements of the Council for Postsecondary Education’s program review and Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
• Oversees creation, implementation, marketing, and assessment of digital learning objects (tutorials, etc.) to support educational needs.
• Identifies instructional opportunities for incorporating Special Collections and Archives materials within the campus curriculum.
• Oversees training and professional development for librarians on all aspects of library instruction, including theory, pedagogy, and best practices.
Liaison Responsibilities & Leadership in Organizational Culture:
• Serves on/collaborates with campus curriculum and instruction committees, FYE offices, educational technology offices, and related campus departments/units and on Library committees and task forces.
• Liaises with campus student support centers, and external partners to create programming and services to support the educational mission of the university.
• Leads the effort for Library to be recognized across campus as an active contributor to student, faculty, and staff learning.
• Communicates with clarity and transparency to internal and external stakeholders.
• Actively promotes an environment of continual improvement by engaging in ongoing learning, information sharing, and professional development.
• Contributes to research tutoring and consultations.
• Other duties as assigned.
Service and Scholarship:
• Participates in Library and campus-wide committees and NKU faculty governance.
• Participates in scholarship and creative activity in order to meet expectations for faculty at NKU .
• Master’s degree in Library or Information Science, or equivalent advanced degree
• Two years of experience growing an instruction program in an academic or research library
• Two years of continuous supervisory experience of professional staff and/or faculty, including proven team accomplishments and individual success in employee supervision, leadership, and mentoring
• Demonstrated experience building working relationships and collaborations with academic programs and/or faculty at an institution of higher education
• Knowledge and understanding of key issues and trends that affect academic libraries and higher education
• Demonstrated commitment to professional activity/service, especially in the area of instruction, student learning, or trends in higher education
• Experience employing quantitative and/or qualitative research methodologies for programmatic student learning assessment
• Experience teaching information literacy-focused credit bearing courses
• Demonstrated experience capitalizing on growth opportunities
• Demonstrated experience working successfully with people from diverse cultural backgrounds, including international scholars, faculty, and students
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Knowledge and understanding of key issues and trends in information literacy instruction, including inclusive pedagogical practices, learning technologies, and student learning assessment.
• Knowledge and understanding of key issues and trends in research help services.
• Ability to lead and manage complex teams.
• Knowledge and understanding of key issues and trends that affect academic libraries or higher education.
• Ability to work well both independently and in a collaborative environment and to contribute to professional service.
• Exemplary interpersonal and written communication skills plus a demonstrated commitment to professional development/achievement.
• Ability to create an exciting, future-oriented library.
Applications submitted by November 6, 2020 will receive full consideration
Minimum Education Master's Degree Preferred Education Master's Degree
Requisition Number 2020F496 Job Open Date 10/09/2020 Job Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Quick Link http://jobs.nku.edu/postings/9579 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Newport
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Newport
- Education Administration & Leadership Not specified Full Time jobs in Newport
- Other Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Newport
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Newport