Public Safety Dispatcher
Posting Number C00096P Quick Link for Position http://jobs.uafs.edu/postings/1657 Working Title Public Safety Dispatcher Position Number 21-20-0020 Department University Police About the University
For more than 6,000 students each semester, the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith offers a dynamic and diverse learning community with a student-centered approach focused on the success of the individual. Small class sizes combine with innovative, hands-on learning and research experiences alongside expert faculty to ensure students receive a future-focused education at the most affordable tuition rate in the state. The University has undergone significant changes since its founding in 1928 and now offers 51 bachelor’s and associate degrees, two master’s degrees, and 36 certificate programs, all aimed at preparing students for success in the global workforce. UAFS is one of 21 academic institutions and affiliates governed by the University of Arkansas System.
The second-largest city in the state, Fort Smith is located on the Arkansas-Oklahoma border in the heart of the Arkansas River Valley. Established in 1817 as a frontier military post, Fort Smith is now a vibrant and growing city featuring a variety of cultural activities and entertainment options, including a thriving downtown arts and entertainment district. Outdoor enthusiasts will appreciate the Natural State’s plentiful trails, mountains, forests, parks, and waterways, both within the city limits and throughout the surrounding area. The city is also within easy driving distance of Tulsa, Kansas City, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, and Memphis.
The UAFS campus is comprised of 77 buildings and facilities located on 170 beautifully-manicured acres and crowned with the Donald W. Reynolds Campus Plaza, Tower, and Campus Green. Students who choose to live on campus may do so in one of two residence hall complexes, complete with a full-service dining center, or the on-campus apartment complex for married students and upperclassmen. Campus involvement is encouraged by participation in more than 100 registered student organizations, which includes academic societies, a dynamic Greek life system, intramural sports, and cultural/special interest groups. The UAFS Lions compete in the NCAA Division II Lonestar Conference in men’s baseball, women’s volleyball, and men’s and women’s basketball, golf, cross country, and tennis.
About the College / Department Position Summary
The Public Safety Dispatcher works under general supervision in a team-oriented setting and is responsible for providing central dispatch services for the University Police Department ( UPD ). This position is governed by law enforcement standards and departmental and institutional policy. The position reports to Lieutenant of Support Services.
Summary of Job Duties
• Receives emergency and non-emergency calls for service, determines the nature and severity of calls received, and initiates the appropriate response, to include dispatching UPD officers and requesting response from fire department, emergency medical, or other agency police personnel.
• Uses computers/database to retrieve driver’s license and vehicle information, check for warrants, and access other law enforcement data.
• Monitors and records the status of patrol officers, maintains accurate log of calls for service and response activity, and assists officers with report entry.
• Completes various administrative tasks.
• Responsible for maintaining a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner to foster teamwork and by providing leadership to subordinates. Requires consistent on-time attendance.
• Other duties as assigned.
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• One year of experience in the operation of public safety or related communication equipment.
• A stable work history.
• A valid driver’s license.
• Other job related education and/or experience may be substituted for part of these requirements. For example, previous dispatch experience in a non-public safety related field may be considered.
Please ensure that all relevant application materials include details addressing the minimum qualifications. Applicants not meeting the minimum qualifications will be disqualified from consideration.
License(s)/Certifications Preferred Qualifications Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
To perform the job successfully, the following competencies are required for the essential functions of this position:
• Knowledge of communications equipment and usage procedures.
• Knowledge of modern office equipment and procedures.
• Effective interpersonal skills and communication techniques.
• Must have basic computer skills.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to multitask.
• Ability to work under minimal supervision.
• Ability to maintain confidential information with absolute discretion in all matters.
• Ability to understand and follow emergency response procedures.
• Ability to remain calm and perform effectively during stressful and emergency situations.
• Ability to work with diverse populations in a positive manner.
• Must have or obtain ACIC / NCIC computer training and certification.
Special Job Dimensions
Work performed primarily in an office setting. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly exhibits digital dexterity when entering data into computer. The employee frequently sits for extended periods of time, and occasionally stands and walks. Vision demands include close, relatively detailed vision when focusing on a computer screen. Employee regularly talks and hears. Employee occasionally lifts items up to 10 pounds. Occasional shift work and schedule flexibility required.
Shifts include 4:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m. and 12:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. Shift differential available for applicable shifts.
Salary $22,433 + 6% Shift Differential Benefits
Competitive benefits package.
Background Check / Pre-Employment Screening
This position may be subject to a pre-employment criminal background check, sex offender registry check, financial history background check, and/or drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background checks and drug screening information will be used in a confidential, non- discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Does this position require a background check? Criminal Background Check and Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) Check
Open Date 10/09/2020 Close Date 10/25/2020 Open Until Filled No Special Instructions to Applicants
This posting will be used to fill multiple positions. Shifts include 4:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m. and 12:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.
Anticipated start date EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas – Fort Smith is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, dedicated to attracting and supporting diverse student, faculty, and staff populations. The University welcomes applications without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
- Cover Letter
- Proof of Veteran Status
- Additional Document
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you able to work between the hours of 4 p.m. to 12:00
a.m. including holidays and weekends?
- * Are you able to work between the hours of 12:00 a.m. to 8:00
a.m. including holidays and weekends?
- * Do you have the ability to multitask effectively?
- * Are you able to stay on task with little supervision?
- * Did you complete the Employment History section of the
- * Do you understand that failure to complete the Employment
History section of the application will result in automatic
- * Have you ever been fired or asked to resign from a job?
- If yes, please describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you learn of this employment opportunity?
(Open Ended Question)