Environmental Health and Safety Officer
Job Posting Location:
Job Posting Title:
Environmental Health and Safety Officer
Job Description:Environmental Health & Safety Officer ABOUT POMONA COLLEGE: Located near Los Angeles, California, Pomona College is widely regarded as one of the nation's premier liberal arts colleges. Established in 1887, Pomona College is known for small classes, a challenging curriculum, close relationships between students and faculty, and a range of student research and leadership opportunities. Pomona is a member of The Claremont Colleges. POSITION SUMMARY: The Environmental Health and Safety Officer (EHSO) oversees chemical, biological, radiation, laser, and machine shop safety while ensuring compliance with the EPA, Cal/OSHA, California Department of Public Health, California Radiologic Health Branch, and other federal, state and local regulatory agencies. The EHSO will develop and implement a comprehensive laboratory safety program based on regulatory requirements, best management practices, and the College policy. Pomona College is committed to developing and sustaining a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment. The EHSO will support and advance these stated values. Reporting directly to the Associate Dean for Research, the Environmental Health & Safety Officer performs the following essential duties and responsibilities:
- Administer and annually evaluate the effectiveness of the College’s Chemical Hygiene Plan to ensure compliance with the Cal/OSHA Standard 8 CCR 5191, Occupational Exposure to Hazardous Chemicals in the Laboratories.
- Serve as the campus Radiation Safety Officer (RSO) and member of the Radiation Safety Committee, approving radioisotope purchases, maintaining records of radioisotope users, and maintaining records of used isotopes and waste materials.Ensure that the college complies with the campus Radioactive Materials Licensing.
- Implement and manage the college hazardous waste (chemical, biohazard, medical, and universal) disposal program to ensure compliance with the Environmental Protection Agency and other state and local regulations.Monitor the generation, storage, and disposal of hazardous waste.
- Maintain proper records and file reports of hazardous waste and other environmental safety programs.
- Ensure that Safety Data Sheet (SDS) and chemical inventories are available and current in teaching and research labs and on the online SDS system.
- Evaluate the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) by faculty, staff, and students in laboratory areas.Ensure that proper PPE are worn in all research laboratories laboratory courses and support areas.
- Conduct comprehensive laboratory safety inspections on a regular basis, including fire extinguishers, eye wash stations, first aid stations and chemical showers, to ensure that work performed within the laboratories is conducted in as safe a manner as possible and in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.Conduct inspections to ensure that safety deficiencies are corrected in a timely manner.
- Assist in the development of Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for different procedures.
- Advise and assist faculty and staff in implementation of chemical hygiene policies/practices.
- Develop and conduct appropriate safety training for faculty, staff, and students working in the laboratories and laboratory courses, including safe handling and disposal of chemical, radioactive, and biohazardous materials. Ensure that training records are documented and being maintained.
- Monitor and ensure correct labeling and storage of chemicals and hazardous waste in research and teaching areas.
- Oversee proper documentation of student–safety contracts.
- Oversee and assist in the development of the general safety program that includes chemical, radioactive, and biological safety training for staff and students, dealing with emergencies, exposures and spills and monitoring waste disposal.
- Demonstrate knowledge of radiation safety, policies and procedures.
- Investigate incidents in laboratory/chemical handling areas including spills/releases; determine causes of incidents and recommend corrective action.
- Report reoccurring safety violations to the Dean of the College.
- Provide additional training and teaching materials in collaboration with laboratory course instructors based on course needs.
- Help design and implement new safety policies as needed across the campus.
- Coordinate special projects/tasks and provide assistance as assigned.