CONTACT TRACING EPIDEMIOLOGY LEAD
CONTACT TRACING EPIDEMIOLOGY LEAD
Posting Number: SRGV4688
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Department: School of Medicine / Public Health Office
Scope of Job:
Oversee a virtual team of case investigators and contact tracers and liaise with community resource specialists to call every person diagnosed with COVID-19, call every contact of a person diagnosed with COVID-19 to assess for symptoms, refer to testing and connect to quarantine/isolation resources as needed. The Epi Lead and team will use the Texas Health Trace web-based data management platform to perform activities.
The Epi Lead is responsible for the leadership of team, tracking progress against target goals, providing direct supervision, oversight, and mentorship.
Description of Duties:
Texas COVID-19 Statewide Contact Tracing
Contact tracing is a process that identifies individuals who may have been in contact with someone who is infected by a virus. Once these contacts are identified, public health workers known as contact tracers communicate with these individuals to warn them of potential exposure and connect them with public health information and services including testing.
The Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) will hire, train and supervise a team working remotely to support DSHS and local health departments to perform COVID-19 contact tracing activities statewide. The aim of this will be to call every person diagnosed with COVID-19, gather information about their contacts, and to call every contact in Texas. This is in tandem with other statewide efforts to increase testing, develop coordinated outbreak management response, increase infrastructure for isolation and quarantine support, if needed, and fortify efforts to control the pandemic in Texas.
• Supervises a team of approximately 13 case investigators and contact tracers.
• Coaches staff on achieving contract tracing goals, offering feedback on performance.
• Coordinates the team’s schedules and provide daily remote supervision and troubleshooting. Track daily and weekly progress for the team.
• Enforces all policies, procedures, protocols, and communicate process changes or new instructions to the team as appropriate.
• Triages and escalates issues from the team, brainstorm and implement solutions
• Liaises with local health entity partners.
• Maintains daily contact with supervisor.
• Performs case investigation and/or contact tracing duties for team as necessary based on team workloads.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
General supervision from assigned supervisor.
Direct supervision of assigned staff.
Bachelor’s degree with major coursework in epidemiology, microbiology, infectious diseases, biostatistics, or a related field from an accredited university.
Master’s degree from an accredited university.
Three (3) years experience in the field of public health, including supervisory experience.
Experience in epidemiology, communicable disease control, or a related field. Experience performing public health contact tracing functions. Experience working in a health, human service, or community-based organization or institutional setting. Experience leading remote staff and/or in a complex environment. Fluency in second or multiple languages. Ability to speak, read, and write English fluently.
Use of standard office equipment. Must meet minimum requirements for Personal Computer hardware and software and broadband internet access.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office/Remote Environment; some travel and weekend work is required. UTRGV is a distributed institution, which requires presence at multiple locations throughout the Rio Grande Valley. This job will be performed mostly remotely - teleworking from your residence. There may be a need to travel occasionally to conduct in-person interviews.
• Knowledge of the principles and methods of epidemiology.
• Ability to work remotely.
• Ability to exhibit a professional, positive attitude and work ethic.
• Ability to manage and adapt to change.
• Excellent interpersonal skills required and ability to show empathy and interact professionally with culturally diverse individuals during a time of crisis and distress.
• Excellent organizational and communication skills.
• Critical thinking and sound judgment required.
• Ability to handle confidential information with discretion and professionalism.
• Ability to work through conflict.
• Proficiency with computers and data entry into electronic tracking systems.
• Ownership of or ability to acquire a personal computer and broadband internet access. A headset is preferred.
• Texas resident preferred and familiarity with Texas’ geography.
Individuals selected for employment:
• Are required to follow all scripts, policies and procedures provided by DSHS, and comply with DSHS training regarding confidential information related to personal information.
• Must complete the following as part of onboarding:
- “Making Contact: A Training for COVID-19 Contact Tracers” offered by the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials
- Texas Health and Human Services HIPAA training or approved equivalent
- Texas Health and Human Services Cybersecurity training or approved equivalent
- Texas Health Trace data system training
- Texas Health and Human Services Acceptable Use Agreement
• Must meet minimum requirements for Personal Computer hardware and software and broadband internet:
- Supported version of one of the following: Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome. Mozilla Firefox or Apple Safari, as designated by the browser vendor.
For the telecom solutions:
Minimum PC hardware requirements:
- Processor: 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo or equivalent
- RAM: 2 GB
- Monitor Display: 1024 × 768, 16 colors
- Sound Card: Full Duplex sound system
- USB 2.0 port for USB Headset
• Minimum PC software requirements:
- One of the following 32-bit or 64-bit operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 or 3
• User provided home network connection.
- Minimum 5MB download broadband internet speed
- Minimum 1MB upload broadband internet speed
The contact tracing call center will operate 7 days a week between the hours of 8am and 8pm Central Standard Time. Evening and/or weekend work may be required.
Physical Capabilities: n/a
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 10/12/2020
Grant Funded Position: Yes
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date: 05/31/2022
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non discrimination in it’s education programs and activities, including employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
*Social Security Number
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (956)665-8880 and/or email@example.com.
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/25977