Instructional Designer, eLearning (Part Time)
Howard Community College (HCC) is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! HCC has been awarded the distinction as a "Great College to Work for" since 2009 from The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Howard Community College values diversity among its faculty, staff and student population. We are an innovative institution that is committed to responding to the ever-changing needs and interests of a diverse and dynamic community. No matter where you want to go in your career, you can get there from here!
The Instructional Designer reports to the Director of eLearning and works closely with eLearning and Continuing Education staff. The position provides synchronous and asynchronous training and professional development. Consultation with faculty and staff will allow the successful candidate to partner with stakeholders to design and develop curriculum, course development, and training materials to support the mission of the Continuing Education and Workforce Development Division (CEWD).
This position will provide some support for current online applications utilized by faculty and staff to include instructional design components. The position will require some schedule flexibility to include time in the evenings and weekends. The successful candidate will be dynamic and flexible, able to multitask and adjust to varying needs, proficient in customer service and demonstrate excellent communication skills.
The incumbent will work independently (remotely until Spring 2021 and on campus when we return to in person learning or required meetings)
- Consult and collaborate with faculty, administrators, and instructional staff centrally in CEWD on design, development, and evaluation of instructional courses, programs, materials, methods, student support systems, teaching and assessment techniques
- Manage individual and group projects
- Online course and program assessment (Quality Matters preferred)
- Provide training and mentoring to faculty and staff in technology and instructional design best practices
- Develop user guides, self-help documentation, and tutorials for online and offline use
- Work with eLearning team to identify, develop, and deploy training schedules and sessions
- Work with eLearning team to assist users with technical issues
- Assists in Learning Management Systems (LMS) administration and maintenance, particularly regarding the Continuing Education area.
- Assist with general departmental needs
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelors' degree in a field related to instructional design/technology or education or online learning. (Master's degree preferred)
- Two years of experience providing professional development and instructional design and development. (preferred)
- Higher education experience (preferred)
- Ability to research and develop education tools, technologies, best practices that enhance student learning outcomes
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to multitask under strict deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally and build strong relationships with a diverse group of users and support staff.
- Deep instructional design knowledge and application with the ability to convert this into engaging learning experiences.
- Experience writing strategic learning plans for curriculum.
- Apply ADDIE principles to meet course goals and/or training objectives.
- Proven eLearning design and development experience with designing, developing, and delivering online and blended learning solutions.
- Excellent analytic and evaluation skills
- Competent and knowledgeable in online content authoring tools as well as digital editing tools
- Competent and knowledgeable using a Learning Management Systems (e.g. Canvas and/or Blackboard)
- Familiarity with computer related ADA requirements and ability to incorporate features to comply with Section 508.
Hours Per Week: 20-25 hours
Best Consideration: November 2, 2020
Open Until Filled
*Pre-employment criminal background investigation is a condition
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance with the job application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 443-518-1100. The TDD line phone # is: 443-518-4822.
The following are required documents:
- Completed Application
- Cover Letter
- Work Sample