Dean of the St. Louis College of Pharmacy
University of Health Sciences & Pharmacy in St. Louis (UHSP) invites nominations and applications for the position of dean of the St. Louis College of Pharmacy. The dean is the chief executive officer of the College and is responsible for its academic and administrative direction. The dean reports to the president.
For more than 155 years, University of Health Sciences & Pharmacy in St. Louis has been preparing students for expert practice and leadership in pharmacy and health professions careers across the nation and around the world. Located in the Central West End neighborhood of St. Louis, in the heart of the Washington University Medical Campus, one of the world’s premier biomedical research and patient-care centers, UHSP provides innovative education, research, and career opportunities for students, faculty, and staff. We have been ranked #1 in the nation for return on investment in a bachelor's degree at 15 and 20 years after enrollment by the Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce, the #1 private college of pharmacy in the nation for National Institutes of Health (NIH) grants during 2019, a Great College to Work For by The Chronicle of Higher Education since 2012, the #1 ranked private pharmacy institution in the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy’s (AACP) most recent Funded Research Grant Institutional Rankings Report, and the 4th highest private college of pharmacy in the nation by U.S. News & World Report in 2020. The Department of Education College Scorecard data identifies the University as having the highest-earning graduates in Missouri.
The University consists of the College of Arts and Sciences and the St. Louis College of Pharmacy, each headed by a dean, and seven vice presidents reporting to the president. The dean of the College of Arts and Sciences provides academic leadership for the Department of Liberal Arts and the Department of Basic Sciences, which combined consists of 32 full-time faculty. The dean of the St. Louis College of Pharmacy serves as the leader of the faculty and chief administrative officer for the College. The College contains two departments, the Department of Pharmacy Practice and the Department of Pharmaceutical and Administrative Sciences, which includes 60 full-time faculty members, seven of whom are residents. The vice presidents oversee the following areas: diversity & inclusion; finance; institutional advancement; marketing & enrollment services; operations; research; and student affairs.
The dean has principal responsibility for achieving the College’s strategic vision; deploying and further building the human, capital, and financial resources; and advancing the College as a learning environment and workplace that is affirming for all. The new dean will join a well-managed and much-respected institution that has a strong sense of community and a sincere dedication to students.
The successful candidate must possess high academic and personal standards, be energetic and persistent in the pursuit of excellence, and be comfortable with the values and culture of the University of Health Sciences & Pharmacy in St. Louis environment. The principle professional qualities and experience sought are:
- A doctoral degree in pharmacy, pharmaceutical sciences, or related health sciences;
- Distinguished leadership experience with substantial administrative experience and a record of scholarly achievement in teaching or research and/or accomplishments in practice;
- Demonstrated commitment to pharmacy education, the importance of pharmacy in health care delivery, service and outreach to promote pharmacy, wellness, and improvement of health outcomes for patients, specifically populations that are medically underserved;
- Demonstrated leadership as a highly visible connector in engaging the community in the discourse around social justice encompassing issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- Proven success or aptitude for relating positively with students, faculty, pharmacy practitioners, alumni, pharmaceutical industry representatives, pharmacy association leaders, the business community, and state and local government officials;
- Exceptional leadership and interpersonal skills, with the ability to relate to, communicate with, and develop relationships with a wide range of individuals and groups;
- Strong commitment to shared governance and transparency throughout the College and the University;
- Successful skills in budget and staff management, capital campaigns and advancement, strategic planning, business management, and utilization of internal and external data;
- Ability to build and sustain strong teaching and research relations with educational and research partners, promote interests for pharmacy practice, and develop funding for research and academic programs;
- Ability to articulate a bold, courageous, and strategic vision for pharmacy and ensure that the College’s academic and research programs are positioned to overcome challenges and meet that vision;
- Ability to lead, support, develop, and recruit a distinguished, accomplished, and diverse faculty of pharmacists and pharmaceutical scientists;
- Ability to manage budgets, projects, and allocated resources and prioritize to ensure goals are met;
- Establishment of direct contact and rapport with members of all the College’s constituencies including students, faculty, staff, alumni, and members of the University of Health Sciences & Pharmacy in St. Louis community;
- Exceptional social and interpersonal skills and written and oral communication skills; and
- Credentials that merit appointment at the rank of full professor.
The dean will be expected to be the face of the St. Louis College of Pharmacy and to extend the culture of active collaboration with external partners to strengthen the College’s visibility and the vitality of our programs. Connecting with opinion leaders as a respected peer will be crucial to the success of the new dean, as will raising public awareness of the contributions of University of Health Sciences & Pharmacy in St. Louis within the community, state, nationally, and internationally; for example, leadership in policy for Missouri such as COVID-19.
How to Apply
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc. is assisting University of Health Sciences & Pharmacy in St. Louis in this search. Applications and nominations are now being accepted. For a full application package, please submit a cover letter, CV, and list of five references. Confidential inquiries, nominations and application materials should be directed to Greenwood/Asher & Associates. Submission of application materials as PDF attachments is strongly encouraged. The search will be conducted with a commitment of confidentiality for candidates until finalists are selected. Initial screening of applications will begin immediately and will continue until an appointment is made.
Inquiries, nominations, and application materials should be directed to:
Jan Greenwood, Partner & President
Ann Bailey, Senior Executive Search Consultant
For additional information about University of Health Sciences & Pharmacy in St. Louis, please visit www.uhsp.edu.
University of Health Sciences & Pharmacy in St. Louis is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that values diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability. EOE/M/F/Veteran/Disabled
The material presented in this leadership profile should be relied on for informational purposes only. This material has been copied, compiled, or quoted in part from University of Health Sciences & Pharmacy in St. Louis documents and personal interviews and is believed to be reliable. While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this information, the original source documents and factual situations govern.