Assistant Professor - Event Management (65033)
The Department of Tourism, Hospitality and Event Management
(THEM) at the University of Florida (UF) invites applications for a
faculty member at the rank of Assistant Professor (tenure track) in
Event Management. The successful candidate will work closely with
the Chair and THEM faculty members to develop a cutting-edge
curriculum, enhance the undergraduate experience, grow bachelor’s
and master’s enrollment, and enrich the doctoral program of the
Department. The search committee strongly encourages applications
and nominations of women and persons of underrepresented
We are seeking a candidate who can complement and extend our department of talented faculty who lead internationally recognized research programs centered on hospitality analytics, crisis management, sustainability, and/or sport and event tourism at local, national, and international venues. THEM prepares students to gain competency in industry knowledge, develop intellectual abilities, and foster adaptive and technical leadership skills. In addition, the focus on the growth of individual and group dynamics through critical thinking and experiential learning is emphasized so that students will create change in an ever-evolving industry. Graduates pursue a wide range of exciting career opportunities including travel and tourism, resorts, hotels and attractions, event management, and many other options. The Eric Friedheim Tourism Institute is housed within the Department and provides an internationally recognized research and education network of researchers and the tourism industry.
The University of Florida campus is located “where nature and culture meet”—in the city of Gainesville, which is repeatedly cited as one of the top places to live in the U.S. The University of Florida is ranked #6 in public Universities in the U.S. The state of Florida has a dynamic hospitality and tourism industry that receives more than 100 million visitors annually. The Department is uniquely situated to nurture a trove of beneficial partnerships for event management across the state.
The Assistant Professor in Event Management will have the academic and industry experience qualifications that earn the respect of the faculty, students, and the professional staff of the Department. The successful candidate must demonstrate a commitment to scholarly excellence. Like other current THEM faculty, the new faculty is expected to actively seek sponsored research and attend to the further development of research opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students. The candidate will be expected to demonstrate many, if not all, of the following qualifications and experience:
• An earned doctorate (or terminal degree) in Event Management or related field
• Excellent teaching and communication skills, both oral and written; clear devotion to students and the missions of higher education
• Festival planning, event analytics and AI applications in the discipline, event/hospitality management, and operation are preferred
• A commitment to enhancing and nourishing a cultural climate that supports diversity, equity, and inclusion in all facets of the Department
• Rich industry experiences and connections, including a record in working in the event, hospitality, tourism, or attraction industries
• A rising scholar who displays professional integrity and collegiality.
This is a 9-month, fulltime (1.0 FTE) position that begins August 16, 2021. UF has a competitive benefits package, and department faculty may be eligible for summer salary. Interested applicants must apply online at https://jobs.ufl.edu (reference job 65033) and include (1) an application letter summarizing qualifications, ongoing research, and interest in the Department of Tourism Hospitality and Event Management; (2) a curriculum vitae; and (3) names, addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers of five references. The search committee will begin reviewing applications immediately and will continue to receive applications until the position is filled; however, to receive full consideration, complete applications must be received by December 1, 2020 . Send inquiries and nominations to Dr. Heather Gibson Search Committee Chair, at email@example.com .
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Gainesville
- Business & Management Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Gainesville
- Management Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Gainesville
- Social & Behavioral Sciences Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Gainesville
- Recreation & Leisure Studies Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Gainesville