Assistant Director of Admissions (1308)
This Assistant Director position is responsible for the admission and recruitment of domestic freshman and transfer applicants including recruitment travel as well as application evaluation. This position is also responsible for assisting with the coordination and staffing of on-campus programs and online events for prospective students.
The number of freshmen applications that the Assistant Director reviews ranges from one thousand to two thousand annually. The number of transfer applications that the Assistant Director reviews ranges from one hundred to two hundred annually.
This position requires minimal supervision.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Reads and evaluates applications for undergraduate admission; makes decisions or refers to either the Associate Director or Director of Admissions.
2. Conducts recruitment travel; participates in high school visits, community college visits, college fairs, regional interviews and other regional events.
3. Provides guidance, expertise and recommendations to prospective students, parents, alumni, guidance counselors and transfer advisors; conducts outreach to this population. Serves as a liaison with another office/department on-campus or serves as the key contact admission professional to a defined population. Examples include athletics, alumni volunteers, or students that wish to defer admission.
4. Conducts on-campus information sessions and interviews for prospective students and their parents; gives overview of university programs/majors, student life and the admissions process. Participates in campus and online events.
5. Develops and implements recruitment strategy and plans for a specific geographic area. Analyzes results of previous years’ activities and then develops and executes a comprehensive, integrated plan for both fall and spring travel/visits/events each year involving outreach to prospective students, parents, high school counselors, transfer advisors, alumni and others.
- Evening and weekend work required.
- Travel consists of six to eight weeks in the fall and spring combined.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- 35 Hours
- Sr. Coordinator/Analyst B
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree
- 1-3 years of relevant experience
- At least 2 years of professional experience in admissions or related areas.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Knowledge of trends and practices in higher education.
- Writing ability.
- Ability to represent the University and demonstrate highly developed interpersonal and public speaking skills.
- Demonstrated problem solving ability.
- Computer skills.
- Organizational skills and ability to conduct demographic and historical research as it pertains to American University’s applicant trends.
- Ability to contribute to a team-oriented environment within the Office of Enrollmen.
- Hiring offers are contingent on the successful completion of a background check.
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options.
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Other Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Community Relations & Institutional Outreach Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.