Working Position Title
The primary role of this position is to serve as staff assistant to the Chair of the Department (Chair), provide administrative support for the operational and organizational staff, and to serve as secretary to the faculty of the Department of Public Administration (Department). Much of the work is technical and requires high sensitivity and confidentiality.
The office administrator must have excellent technical skills, be able to determine work assignments, create new methods of systems, be creative, be attentive to details, have high communication ability; must also have knowledge of the many programs and activities of the Department. This individual must help prioritize tasks of the office staff and the Chair and be able to develop relationships with individuals of different cultural, economic, and physical backgrounds. The office administrator should have highly proficient knowledge of word processing and data management software, including spreadsheets, online surveys, and databases. This individual should also be able to draw upon organizational skills to help the Chair organize the faculty and staff to accomplish its goals and objectives.
This position requires advanced skills in independent decision making. The office administrator has the freedom to determine work methods and set priorities for completing tasks. This individual must make sure all reports, budgets, deadlines, and events are on schedule and done on time. The office administrator sets daily, weekly, monthly and yearly goals for himself/herself in consultation with the Chair and office staff.
Requires occasional offsite work with a modified schedule to support student, faculty, and alumni events.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
The office administrator will work with the Chair and Assistant to the Chair to coordinate hiring for faculty, staff, and graduate assistance. Including generating customer invoices for external graduate assistance appointments.
They will also process payroll and benefit for all employees in the department.
The office administrator is also responsible for managing departmental financial accounts. Including monitoring budget, and record keeping, purchasing and processing all financial forms for both NIU and foundation funds.
The office administrator enters and maintains course schedules in NIU’s academic software system. They will also collect and file grade rosters, direct the course evaluation process.
The office administrator will prepare annual merit review documents, file merit review letters and prepare reports for evaluation meeting and distributes to faculty.
The office administrator will manage meeting calendars, along with space and equipment requests for the department. Greet visitors to the department as well as answer phone
and direct the caller to the appropriate parties.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
1. High school graduation or equivalent
2. Any one or any combination totaling 1.0 unit of the following:
~Four (4) years (48 months) of work experience comparable to the third level of this series = 1.0 unit
~Two (2) years (24 months) of work experience comparable to the fourth level of this series = 1.0 unit
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
Education and Experience Preferred
Experience with NyNIU student system, accounts receivable and financial systems.
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
Highly proficient knowledge of word processing and data management software, including spreadsheets, online surveys, and databases.
Highly proficient experience with budgeting and finance. Organizational skills ability to evaluate and prioritize tasks.
8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants.
Priority Review Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on yourentirework history, including employment dates and duties forallpositions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification, including any specialty factors associated with this particular position.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from email@example.com and CivilServiceTesting@niu.edu. Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address, and phone numbers. The information you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
- ALL QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL BE SCHEDULED TO COME TO THE NIU DEKALB CAMPUS TO TAKE A STATE UNIVERSITIES CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATION . At the time of testing, you will berequiredto present a photo ID. NOTE : If you have previously tested for this classification and wish to rewrite the exam to improve your score and register position, please contact the Civil Service Testing Office by the posting deadline.
- Required documentation noted in the posting such as driver’s license, licensures, or certifications MUST be presented at the time of examination.
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- After testing of all qualified applicants has been completed for this position, the names with the top three scores will be referred to the hiring department for interview.
- Click on Office Administrator for more information including salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
- Please click Human Resource Services – Benefits for detailed information about Northern Illinois University’s benefits package.
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Link to Department Homepage
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
Is Background Check Required
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form. This form can be obtained by contacting the Office of Academic Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ( ADEI ) at 815-753-8399.
Clery Act Information
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a certification such as Business/Administrative
Technology, Bookkeeping Office Assistant, Office Specialist,
Customer Service, etc. or successful completion of 30-59 semester
hours in any field? (Please remember to upload a copy of your
certification or unofficial copy of your transcript.)
- * Do you have an Associate’s degree or higher degree in any
field or concentration or successful completion of 60 or more
semester hours? (Please remember to upload a copy of your
- * Please specify the years of work experience involving
administrative support work (experience that supports the
day-to-day operations of an office or organization) or supervising
employee(s) or student(s) or project management experience.
- Less than 1 year
- 1-2 years
- 2-4 years
- More than 4 years
- * Please rate your level of experience drafting professional
correspondence with external constituents. Please upload an example
as your writing sample.
- No experience in the above job duty.
- My experience was limited and performed under guidance or supervision.
- My experience was extensive and performed independently.
- Have you attached a copy of your DD214, DD215, NGB22, or DD256
for consideration of Veteran's Preference Points? The copy
submitted should reflect the status of discharge in order to be
- Not Applicable
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample
- Transcripts (unofficial with official required at hire)
- Transcripts #2 (unofficial with official required at hire)
- Military Discharge Documents ONLY (DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256)
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Academic Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Business & Administrative Support Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb