Academic Advisor (Psychology)
University Code 10212 University Title Academic Advisor University Job Family Academic & Faculty Affairs ORP Eligible Yes For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Multi Title Scope of Search Regional Working Title Academic Advisor (Psychology) Position Number 583320 Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group Academic Professional Department Office Of Student Services Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
The College of Humanities and Sciences invites applicants to apply of the position of Academic Advisor. The Office of Student Services of the CHS Dean’s Office provides student academic services and administrative coordination and support for the effective and efficient implementation of undergraduate programs and courses offered by the College. The office has responsibility for certifying graduations and maintaining the graduation database system, completing the change of academic major process, coordinating academic advising and coordinating curriculum revisions in the College.
To sustain an environment of effective academic advising for undergraduate students in the College to support VCU being a leader among national research universities in providing all students with high-quality learning/living experiences focused on inquiry, discovery, and innovation in a global environment. More specifically, to provide resources to improve the student to advisor ratio in the named programs to improve student engagement through effective academic advising, while supporting the identified metrics of graduation rates and retention.
This position requires a high degree of confidentiality. The main purpose of this position is to sustain an environment of effective academic advising for undergraduate students in the respective program. The person must exercise professional judgment in the following ways:
1. Provide correct up-to-date information about all College and program-specific academic program requirements.
2. Provide correct interpretations of University and College rules and regulations.
3. Be comfortable and accurate in answering pointed questions from parents and students about graduation issues.
4. Be able to tell students they lack requirements for graduation and offer suggestions for completion of the needed requirements (including possible substitutions or waivers of degree requirements).
5. Follow the appropriate protocol for situations involving Title IX or FERPA .
1. Provide academic advising services to assigned students:
• Advise students regarding departmental, College, and University policies and procedures; programs of study; and the development of appropriate academic plans.
• Write letters of recommendation and letters of support for student appeals.
• Assist students in identifying their interests, abilities, skills, and academic goals and in making decisions regarding their academic career.
• Introduce students to opportunities that will enrich their academic experience, facilitate their academic and personal development, and support their educational success.
• Teach students how to manage the college experience, navigate the University, make informed decisions, and assume responsibility for their academic success.
• Identify and assist struggling or at-risk students.
• Make appropriate referrals to other university resources.
• Assist students in the online graduation checkout.
• Participate in and provide feedback on training and professional development activities.
2. Collaborate with university partners on matters that impact student recruitment, success, and retention:
• Participate in recruitment activities, programs, and initiatives (e.g., Open House, Preview Day).
• Provide advising services to students during New Student Orientation.
• Support departmental and University retention initiatives.
• Contact continuing students who do not register for classes.
3. Maintain accurate and confidential records of student information, including advising interactions:
• Document all advising interactions with students.
• Maintain training on policies including Title IX and FERPA .
• Maintain accurate and confidential records of students.
4. Monitor student progression in the degree program and establish advising checkpoints:
• Use the Student Success Collaborative ( SSC ) advising platform to establish targeted student populations for more intensive advising.
• Use DegreeWorks to determine student’s progress in completing degree requirements.
• Meet all assigned advisees at least once a semester.
Minimum Hiring Standards
• A minimum of one year of professional experience in a college or university setting.
• Master’s degree from an accredited institution.
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as an employee at VCU .
• Technology skills: demonstrated experience and comfort with technological changes in the advising environment.
Preferred Hiring Standards
• Educational background in the discipline, Psychology.
• Demonstrated experience providing academic, career, or individualized counseling in higher education.
• Excellent written, interpersonal, and oral communication skills.
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range $40,000-$42,000 Application Process/Additional Information
Evaluation of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the positions are filled. Applicants must upload a resume, cover letter, and (as one PDF in the “Other Document” section) the names, phone numbers, and email addresses of three professional references as part of this application process. Applications must be submitted electronically at https://www.vcujobs.com. Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States.
Campus Monroe Park Campus Hours/Week 40/week Normal Work Days/Hours Monday-Friday; 8 AM to 4:30 PM Job Open Date 10/08/2020 Posting will close on or before 10/22/2020 Open Until Filled No Job Category Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? No Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link http://www.vcujobs.com/postings/101029 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you comfortable delivering advising virtually? Please
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Admissions, Enrollment, Retention & Registrar Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Counseling Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond