Chief Research Informatics Officer
Employees hired into Administrative and Professional positions posted on or after July 1, 2017, will be governed by and, if employed on July 1, 2018 will move into the new University Human Resources System. For additional information, go to http://greatplace.vcu.edu.
Position Number F66840 Position Type Teaching and Research Faculty Rank Open Working Title Chief Research Informatics Officer School/Unit School of Medicine Department School of Medicine Number of Months 12 Tenure Status Open Grant funded position? No
Mission or Goal of Unit
The mission of the School of Medicine is to provide preeminent education to physicians and scientists in order to improve the quality of health care for humanity. Through innovative, scholarly activity and a diverse educational context, the School seeks to create and apply new knowledge, and to provide and continuously improve systems of medical and science education. Furthermore, it is our mission to develop more effective healthcare practices to address the needs of the diverse populations we serve and to provide distinguished leadership in the advancement of medicine and science.
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
We invite you to apply for the Chief Research Informatics Officer. The position will oversee the continued implementation, expansion, and on-going management of VCU’s clinical research informatics infrastructure, including bioinformatics and biomedical informatics core resources. The CRIO will also oversee informatics programs within the C. Kenneth and Dianne Wright Center for Clinical and Translational Research, which is VCU’s CTSA supported research center, and the Massey Cancer Center, which is an NCI designated cancer center. The position will report to the Director of the C. Kenneth and Dianne Wright Center for Clinical and Translational Research for biomedical informatics within the Wright Center and to the Director of the Massey Cancer Center for informatics cancer activities. Direct reports to the CRIO include the Director of Clinical Data Services and other direct reports.
• Develop and implement innovative approaches for executing research in data science that can be applied across the clinical and translational research enterprise to diverse populations.
• Lead the development of a formal applied clinical informatics research strategy for the VCU and VCU Health System that will serve as a template for collaboration that will lead to advances in clinical research and promote a learning healthcare system.
• Build on existing collaborations between VCU and VCU Health to develop an enterprise-level strategy for applied informatics that embraces the continuum from population-level care to personalized medicine.
• Expand informatics core resources to support VCU’s CTSA and CCSG programs utilizing substantial existing philanthropic and other funding to support this expansion.
• Enlarge funding streams for informatics research support through existing pilot grant programs to obtain external funding including NIH and other Federal funding, with an aim to build a sustainable program.
• Advocate for continued internal funding by showing the benefits of an applied informatics strategy that promotes research and data security.
- 10 years of experience in clinical research informatics
- A degree of M.D. and/or PhD with certifications or degrees in biomedical informatics, computer science or a related field
- Direct experience in the health field with a preference for skills in clinical care delivery or assessment with understanding of the patient with longitudinal (phenotype) clinical data about each patient
- Eligibility for nomination as a tenure eligible, full professor with a distinguished chair in clinical and translational science at VCU
- Experience in collaborative research, especially in interdisciplinary and translational science efforts
- Strong track record of extramural funding and research productivity in the area of informatics
- Experience in an academic health system and health related data security to effectively collaborate with VCU Health
- A strong understanding of both research and clinical care
- Demonstrated team building and leadership abilities to promote partnerships and successful collaborations with faculty throughout VCU and VCU Health System
- Experience working in higher education and healthcare-related work environments
- Experience in finance and budget development and oversight
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment and commitment to do so as a staff member of VCU
- Experience and ability to manage a diverse team, coordinate work, manage short- and long-term projects, and plan for the future
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills to communicate concepts, and processes clearly and effectively in oral and written form, explain technical information in “plain English” so that it is understandable to constituents
Date Posted 10/08/2020 Open Until Filled Yes Application Deadline Date Proposed Hire Date 01/01/2021 Type of Search National Application Process/Additional Information
Interested applicants must apply online at www.vcujobs.com. Please provide a cv, letter of intent, diversity statement and the names of three references.
As a preeminent national, urban, public research university and academic health center, Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to organizational diversity, equity and inclusion – an environment where all can thrive in their pursuit of excellence.
Applicants are requested to submit a Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (typically between 150-300 words) providing your career aspirations and contributions toward promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Through this statement, you can share how your lived experiences; and past, present, and future academic and professional activities have or will contribute to VCU’s mission of promoting equity and inclusion.
Note: Examples include working with others to further the goals of equity and inclusion; leading in any capacity that tangibly promotes an environment where diversity is welcomed, fostered, and celebrated; creative activity, research and scholarship that promotes equity and parity; teaching and mentoring students, and/or engaging with faculty and/or staff from traditionally underrepresented groups to create a positive and successful organizational experience.
Posted Salary Quick Link http://www.vcujobs.com/postings/101019 Diversity Statement Information For more information on diversity statements, including guidelines, please click here . Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Diversity Statement (Required for all Faculty)