Assistant Dean for Finance and Administration
University Code 18511 University Title Assistant Vice President, Finance 1 University Job Family Financial Services ORP Eligible Yes For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Multi Title Scope of Search National Working Title Assistant Dean for Finance and Administration Position Number FA2660 Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group Executive & Senior Level Leadership Department School Of Pharmacy Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
About VCU :
Located in the heart of Richmond, Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University ( VCU ) is a premier urban, public research university with a genuine commitment to student success and community service. One of just a handful of universities to receive both a “Very High Research Activity” status and a “Community Engaged” designation from the Carnegie Foundation, VCU also boasts nine programs in the U.S. News and World Report’s top 10, as well as the region’s top-rated medical center.
VCU’s character, however, extends far beyond just our rankings. One of the most diverse campuses in the country, the unique backgrounds of our faculty, staff and students create a vibrant, supportive atmosphere both in and out of the classroom.
At VCU, we pride ourselves on having knowledgeable, approachable faculty and staff, who put students first. Much like our students, our faculty and staff think beyond disciplinary boundaries, and work together to explore ideas, create questions and seek solutions.
Finally, the lively and welcoming city of Richmond provides the ideal backdrop for VCU’s academic work. Rich in culture and history, the city becomes a living laboratory, where our faculty, staff and students can tackle problems directly affecting our local communities and see the impact of their work first-hand.
About the School of Pharmacy:
The School of Pharmacy has a 120-year tradition beginning with the Medical College of Virginia and continuing to the present. Ranked in the top 20 of Schools of Pharmacy nationwide, the school is dedicated to graduating outstanding future pharmacists and scientists who will improve human health, foster exemplary research and provide sustaining contributions to interprofessional patient care.
The school is an integral part of an academic medical center, with an emphasis on interprofessional education and training in health care models of the future. There are research programs in diverse areas such as medicinal chemistry and drug discovery, drug delivery, clinical sciences, health policy and outcomes. The program has an exceptional balance of practice and community engagement along with basic and applied pharmaceutical research.
About the Office of Finance and Administration & Position Purpose:
The mission of the Office of Finance and Administration is to effectively and efficiently manage the financial and human resources operations of the School of Pharmacy, to provide guidance on related policy and procedural issues, and to facilitate the requests of faculty and administrators in a timely fashion using knowledge of relevant university administrative policies, procedures and practices.
This position will serve as the Chief Business Officer for the School of Pharmacy, ensuring the effective management of the financial and administrative operations for the school and its departments. Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Supervise a business office and a technology division which supports the various departments and units within the school.
- Oversee the financial activities of all fund sources.
- Serve as a liaison to university administrators, department chairs, directors and faculty regarding financial and human resource matters.
- Oversee the management of school resources by reviewing all financial activity in order to ensure proper fiscal controls and compliance with established policies.
- Serve as a resource to deans, chairs, program directors, faculty, staff and students by correctly applying and/or interpreting established university, school, department financial and human resource policies, procedures and practices.
- Provide supervision and oversight to the school’s centralized business office staff, which provides support to a full range of business operation functions involving over 110 full time employees, 640 students, and budgets that include state, grant, local and foundation funds with over 150 accounts.
- Oversee and manage a central accounting system in conjunction with technology support staff.
- Manage faculty and staff salary adjustment processes and budget reallocations.
- Oversee the allocation of funding for graduate student, resident, post-doctoral, and first professional student support.
- Review and approve research proposal budgets for extramural funding.
- Prepare annual and ad hoc financial, human resource surveys, questionnaires, funding requests and reports to the Dean or other responsible administrative heads as requested.
- Lead the School of Pharmacy in implementing VCU’s RCM budget model.
- Provide research faculty with timely accounting summaries and balances.
- Serve as the school’s representative on relevant University, Health Sciences and School of Pharmacy committees.
- Serve in strategic planning and school accreditation processes.
- Promote diversity, inclusion, and equity in all actions and procedures.
Minimum Hiring Standards
• Bachelors degree in a business or related field with Masters or other advanced degree in business, accounting, or administration. Experience and training at a level that equates to an advanced degree may be substituted for an advanced degree
• At least five years’ work experience in higher education financial leadership
• Prior supervisory experience
• Demonstrated ability to manage a business office with a diverse range of fiscal and human resource management responsibilities
• Working knowledge of financial and administrative policies and procedures
• Excellent database and spreadsheet skills and experience with financial information systems in higher education
• Demonstrated success in promoting diversity, inclusion, and equity within a large organization
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment, or commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal, problem solving, time management skills
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to perform multiple tasks and prioritize work assignments with excellent attention to detail and accuracy
• Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
• Ability to lead others without a direct reporting relationship
• Ability to handle multiple priorities and provide effective problem resolution
• Ability to initiate and improve processes and programs and to successfully interact with all levels within the organization
• Ability to exercise sound judgment and maintain confidentiality in handling sensitive information and issues while staying within defined policies and practices
• Strong analytical, organizational, planning and project decision facilitation skills required to meet deliverables in a team-oriented culture
• Strong critical thinking and quantitative skills with demonstrated ability to manage multiple assignments/projects, meet timelines, and identify project interdependencies, resource needs, potential risks/pitfalls and mitigation plans
• Must be self-directed and motivated to identify and anticipate customer needs and work to proactively resolve problems
Preferred Hiring Standards
• CPA certification (or obtained soon after hire)
• Experience in an academic/university setting at a senior administrative level
• Prior experience managing resources for a large, complex academic department with extensive extramural funding (federal and industry)
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range $115,000 - $151,400 Application Process/Additional Information
Candidates must apply to this position through the university’s career website at https://www.vcujobs.com to be considered for this position.
As a preeminent national, urban, public research university and academic health center, Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to organizational diversity, equity and inclusion – an environment where all can thrive in their pursuit of excellence.
Applicants are requested to submit a Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (typically between 150-300 words) providing your career aspirations and contributions toward promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Through this statement, you can share how your lived experiences; and past, present, and future educational and professional activities have or will contribute to VCU’s mission of promoting equity and inclusion.
Note: Examples include working with others to further the goals of equity and inclusion; leading in any capacity that tangibly promotes an environment where diversity is welcomed, fostered, and celebrated; creative activity, research and scholarship that promotes equity and parity; teaching and mentoring others, and/or engaging with individuals from traditionally underrepresented groups to create a positive and successful organizational experience.
For more information on diversity statements, including guidelines, please go to: https://provost.vcu.edu/faculty/prospective/
For further information about this position, you may contact School of Pharmacy Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
Campus MCV Campus Hours/Week 40 hrs/week Normal Work Days/Hours Monday-Friday Job Open Date 10/06/2020 Posting will close on or before Open Until Filled Yes Job Category Accounting/ Management/ Professional Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? Yes Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link http://www.vcujobs.com/postings/100982 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Business, or
other another related field?
- * Do you have current or previous supervisory experience?
- * Describe your experience dealing with budget development and
(Open Ended Question)
- * Why are you interested in the position of Assistant Dean of
Finance and Administration? How does your understanding of the
position align with your leadership philosophy and experience (e.g.
current situation, future growth and vision)?
(Open Ended Question)
- Other Document
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Reference Letter - 1
- Reference Letter - 2
- Reference Letter - 3
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Accounting & Finance Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Business Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond