Assistant/Associate/Full Professor of Literacy, Language & Culture
Assistant, Associate or Full Professor of Literacy, Language & Culture
As part of the inaugural year of the robust University of Pittsburgh Latinx Cluster Hire initiative, the Department of Teaching, Learning, and Leading in the School of Education invites applications for an Assistant, Associate, or Full, tenured/tenure-stream faculty position in Literacy, Language, and Culture. We seek a scholar of Black Latinx/Afro-Latinx/Afro-Caribbean feminist or gender knowledge traditions whose research engages questions around education/knowledge communities, practices, and institutions through rigorous critical methodologies.
The faculty member will join a newly-formed, dynamic department and contribute to the collective transformation of curricular, pedagogical, and scholarly praxes, shaped by the School of Education strategic goal and priority of “unwavering commitment to equity, justice, and innovation.” The faculty member will: undertake rigorous scholarly work; mentor, teach, and advise graduate and undergraduate students; contribute to the collective work of the department and school; engage scholarly collaborations with the Center for Urban Education, the Center for Latin American Studies, the Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies Program, or the Center on Race and Social Problems, among others across the School and University; build relationships with communities through educational work, broadly conceived; and, work to secure external resources.
Candidates must have:
- Earned doctorate (or completion date prior to contract start date) in a relevant discipline or field (including Anthropology, Women & Gender Studies, Literature, American Studies, Education, Geography, among others)
- Established scholarly record (including publications in peer-reviewed journals and/or with academic presses) in areas identified above
- Evidence of university-identified areas of scholarly focus: “intersectional and multidisciplinary approaches that emphasize but are not limited to, the following: racialization, ethnicity, diaspora/migration, equity, citizenship, border studies, Indigenous studies, geographies, emerging Latinx communities, and participatory and/or policy-relevant research.”[i]
- Experience teaching and/or advising
- Record of service relevant to Latinx knowledge, activist, and/or community projects
We are interested in candidates with experience in:
- teaching, mentoring, and advising at the graduate level
- leadership at the university (programs, centers, departments, etc.)
- growing and sustaining engaged community relationships
- potential for or record of securing external resources
Salary and Rank
Rank will be commensurate with experience and subject to the Pitt Education promotion and tenure process. Candidate salary will be commensurate with rank.
Applicants should submit:
- Letter of application
- One sample of scholarly writing
- Names and contact information for three references (references will only be contacted and asked to submit a letter if candidate is forwarded to the initial interview round)
Full consideration will be given to complete applications submitted by November 23, 2020 to https://cfopitt.taleo.net/careersection/pitt_faculty_external/jobdetail.ftl?job=20005101&tz=GMT-04%3A00&tzname=America%2FNew_York and will continue until position is filled.
For assistance with submission questions, please contact Megan Brennan, firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions about the position, please contact Sabina Vaught, email@example.com.
The University of Pittsburgh is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
[i] from the University of Pittsburgh Provost’s Latinx Cluster Hire Initiative committee.