Executive Director - Society for Values in Higher Education
This position is remote except for attendance at a summer conference in July and winter Board meeting, late January/early February.
The Society for Values in Higher Education (SVHE), an organization that has been contributing to and shaping higher education for nearly 100 years, has begun a search for an Executive Director. SVHE is an international organization of educators who care deeply about ethical issues--such as integrity, diversity, social justice, and civic responsibility--facing higher education and the wider society.
The Executive Director provides strategic leadership and direction to SVHE. This role includes on-going organizational development responsibilities, supervision of the Associate Executive Director, and close collaboration with the SVHE Board of Directors in implementing programs and activities that contribute to the development of the organization. This is a remote position. While limited travel may be required for some meetings, the majority of the job can be done remotely.
The Executive Director serves at the pleasure of the SVHE Board of Directors and has a wide range of responsibilities, including but not limited to:
- Managing operations as the Chief Executive Officer of SVHE
- Overseeing budgetary/financial responsibilities and authorizing committee expenditures as the Chief Financial Officer of the organization
- Managing all day-to-day office operations, providing supervisory direction to the Associate Director and other paid staff as appropriate;
- Providing general oversight and responsibility for the annual summer meeting, including work with the planning committee on securing plenary speakers, setting program schedules, securing required resources, etc.;
- Developing and providing oversight of various SVHE projects;
- Working closely with (and reporting to) the Board of Directors and the Executive Committee of the Board in implementing strategic plan directives, recruiting and retaining SVHE members, and carrying out other Board directives
- Serving as an ex officio member of all Board committees;
- Cultivating and maintaining strong relations with our host institution(s) (currently, Western Kentucky University);
- Providing general oversight and responsibility for Soundings: An Interdisciplinary Journal and maintaining relationship with Penn State University Press;
- Securing external funding and cultivating collaboration and partnerships with other institutions and organizations to further SVHE’s mission;
- Creating (or overseeing creation) and distributing relevant marketing materials;
- Building and maintaining relationships with potential and current donors;
- Managing correspondence with the Board, SVHE general membership, and external publics
- Managing public relations, fundraising, and member recruitment efforts
- Performing other responsibilities as needed
* A Masters or doctoral degree
* A faculty, staff, adjunct, or administrative appointment at a post-secondary institution
* Experience managing a budget
* Experience planning academic meetings and conferences
* Knowledge of trends that will affect the future of higher education and a commitment to staying informed of such developments
* Commitment to the vitality of liberal education
* Supervisory experience
* Demonstrated leadership skills and experience
* Previous service in the leadership of a professional, philanthropic, an/or non-profit organization
* Knowledge of academic publishing
Compensation for the position is $11,000 per year, with the expectation that the Executive Director is working 15-25 hours per month on behalf of SVHE. The organization also covers all expenses for attending the annual summer meeting and the winter Board meeting. In addition, the Executive Director has a modest discretionary fund that can be used to cover costs of attending professional meetings for the purpose of marketing and networking for SVHE
Applications for this position should include a CV, a cover letter addressing motivations for applying for the position and qualifications for providing leadership to the organization, and other evidence (e.g. publications, presentations, grant proposals, recommendation letters, etc.) that supports the candidate’s interest and involvement in issues facing higher education. While the search is open until the position is filled, priority will be given to applications received by December 1, 2020. Inquiries and/or application materials should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Virtual interviews with the search committee, SVHE officers, and/or the full Board of Directors will be carried out in the spring of 2021. Expected start date is July 1, 2021.
Apply for Executive Director - Society for Values in Higher Education
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly