Assistant Professor - Applied Data Science
The Department of Applied Data Science at San José State University seeks qualified candidates for a full-time assistant professor position in data science and its applied technologies.
The department offers academic programs to address emerging workforce demands of the interdisciplinary talents designing and deploying intelligent solutions to real-world data challenges. Students acquire a comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the principles, methodologies and technologies of data science. Silicon Valley is known for its leadership in the big data economy and its demand for talent in response to the exponential growth of data. The department continuously seeks guidance from leading data professionals and companies to ensure that the curriculum is relevant for growing the talent needed in Silicon Valley.
Local data professionals regularly interact with our students through teaching classes, speaking at seminars, sponsoring internships, and supervising capstone projects. Faculty members actively engage with industry partners and sponsors to assess our curricula and update learning objectives in order to provide the most up-to-date skills for supporting innovations from this region.
The department is an academic hub, in partnership with other SJSU departments and industry partners, for promoting education and research in applied data science. In order to address the immense demand for data science professionals, the department launched an MS in Data Analytics program in August 2018. This program provides students with the advanced education necessary to draw insights from real data and apply analytical skills to solve practical problems. Currently, 200 students are enrolled in the program, with continued plans for future growth.
More information about the Department of Applied Data Science at San José State University can be found here . More information about MS in Data Analytics program can be found here .
- An earned doctorate by start of appointment.
- Evidence of or strong potential for scholarly and professional achievement.
- Evidence of or strong potential for teaching and/or training effectiveness.
- Proven track record of industry and/or commercial applications in data science/analytics.
- Expertise in at least two fields in Data Science (data mining, data visualization, machine/deep learning, big data and database systems, data/information security, data-driven modeling and prediction, image or natural language processing) and at least one field in Applied Technologies (IOT, AR/VR/computer vision, mobile computing, cloud computing, HCI, blockchain, robotics, large autonomous systems).
- Demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to educational goals
of a multicultural population as might have been gained in
cross-cultural study, training, teaching and other comparable
- The ability to teach courses in at least two of the above fields in Data Science.
- The ability to teach graduate-level courses to students with diverse academic and professional backgrounds.
- The potential to jointly develop applied research projects in emerging data science/analytics with Silicon Valley companies.
- The potential to be qualified for tenure through excellent
teaching, research and services.
The successful applicant will:
- Have teaching responsibilities in data science and applied technologies.
- Be actively engaged in scholarly activities evidenced by: conducting research, presenting professional papers, publishing in peer-reviewed journals, and developing grants.
- Participate in shared governance, usually in department, college, and university committee and other service assignments.
- Participate in state, national, and international professional organizations, as well as service to the department, college, and University.
- Demonstrate awareness and experience understanding the needs of
a student population of great diversity – in age, cultural
background, ethnicity, primary language and academic preparation –
through inclusive course materials, teaching strategies and
Compensation - Commensurate with qualifications and experience. See Benefits Summary for details.
Starting Date – August 2021
Eligibility - Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of interest
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of teaching interests/philosophy (2 pages) that describes what role faculty plays in student success
- Statement of research plans (2 pages) that addresses the relationship of research activities to the classroom and teaching
- Three reference letters with contact information
Inquiries may be directed to Dr. Lee Chang, Department Chair, at email@example.com . This position remains open until filled. For full consideration, complete the application with required documents by November 9, 2020. Screening of applications will begin November 16, 2020.
San José State University enrolls over 35,700 students, a significant percentage of whom are members of minority groups. As such, this position is for scholars interested in a career at a national leader in graduating URM students. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution; 40% of our students are first-generation, and 38% are Pell-qualified. The university is currently ranked fifth nationally in increasing student upward mobility. The University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
San José State University is California’s oldest institution of public higher learning. Located in downtown San José (Pop. 1,000,000) in the heart of Silicon Valley, SJSU is part of one of the most innovative regions in the world. As Silicon Valley’s public university, SJSU combines dynamic teaching, research, and university-industry experiences to prepare students to address the biggest problems facing society. SJSU is a member of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Advertised: October 06, 2020 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time