Administrative Assistant to the Senior Associate Vice President for Strategic Communications and
Reporting to the Senior Associate Vice President for Strategic Communications and Marketing (SAVP), the Administrative Assistant to the Senior Associate Vice President for Strategic Communications and Marketing/Project Management Specialist serves as the primary point of contact for the Strategic Communications and Marketing department (SCM). The Specialist works independently to perform complex administrative functions requiring access to a variety of sources of information including management strategies and other sensitive documentation. The Specialist is responsible for scheduling/managing SAVP’s calendar. In addition, the Specialist is responsible for working on special projects for the SAVP including project management, analyses and reporting. The Specialist makes decisions, handles issues using discretion, and applies knowledge of relevant CSU and SJSU policies, regulations, and procedures.
- Provides direct administrative support to the SAVP including managing calendar, creating and setting up meetings with various constituents (on and off campus) as well as receipt and review of confidential and sensitive correspondence and other communications. Exercise a very high degree of independent judgment, tact, and discretion in the execution of assigned responsibilities.
- Tracks state expenditures and reconciles the budget for SCM using the CFS Data Warehouse reporting tool and University Advancement customized Expense Tracking Database; Prepares financial reports as they relate to SCM; Provides follow-up on other action items as needed.
- Interprets and maintains policies, guidelines, and procedures to support the accurate functions of the office; Assists the office staff with procedural questions/issues and recommendations regarding office operation and budgetary support.
- Assists in the recruiting and onboarding of hired SCM employees and student assistants.
- Provides support to SAVP and SCM department in preparing for various meetings as well as planning and implementation of communications and marketing plans throughout the year. Works closely and effectively with SAVP on upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately. Distributes in advance materials before meetings in electronic/paper format.
- Assists in matters pertaining to performance reviews, complaints, disciplinary actions, and other personnel issues.
- Coordinates and expedites the completion of tasks required between SAVP and other campus departments, divisions, President’s and Chancellor’s Office, colleges, and off-campus agencies.
- Prepares and edits correspondence, communications, presentations and other documents.
- Reviews and evaluates communications for urgency and nature of business; determines which communications to handle personally and which to refer to other staff members.
- Follows up with senior administration, campus departments, divisions, colleges and off-campus agencies on behalf of SAVP to ensure deadlines are met.
- Assists SAVP with special projects as assigned including confidential matters.
- Conducts research based on special projects assigned to ensure successful planning and implementation.
- Prioritizes conflicting needs; handles matters expeditiously, proactively, and follows-through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Expert level oral and written communication skills with diplomatic demeanor to provide service to staff, administration and the public.
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Working knowledge of operational and fiscal analysis.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of general practices related to executive support.
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability.
- Demonstrated strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail in a deadline-driven environment.
- Excellent customer service and public relation skills.
- Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to also be extremely effective independently.
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of customer service and response.
- Ability to solve day-to-day work unit operational problems.
- Ability to interpret and evaluate results to develop sound conclusions and recommend new or revised policies
- Ability to take initiative and independently plan, organize, coordinate, and perform work in various situations where numerous and diverse demands are involved.
- Proficient in software applications: Microsoft Office, with an emphasis in Excel, Power Point and email.
- Knowledge of marketing automation software tool (e.g. Marketo, Hubspot), content systems (e.g. Omni Update Campus, Drupal, Wordpress), project platforms (e.g. Asana, Smartsheet, Basecamp), and communication platforms (e.g. GatherContent, Slack, Google Chat).
- Knowledge PeopleSoft or similar campus database systems.
- Ability to independently set priorities, coordinate, and complete a variety of competing tasks within established deadlines.
- Ability to handle sensitive information and data, use proper discretion, and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work under pressure to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion, maintain balance among multiple priorities, and routinely interface with a wide variety of stakeholders including but not limited to senior administration, faculty, students, auxiliary groups, alumni, community leaders, current/potential donors, and government agencies.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of constituents including faculty, Chancellor's Office personnel, administrators, union representatives, department chairs, outside agencies, and students.
- Ability to interpret and apply Collective Bargaining Agreements, University Policies, Executive Orders, and other campus/system-wide directives.
- Ability to conduct research and make decisions based on the information gathered.
- A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training
- Four years of administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience supporting executive management
- Experience with marketing automation software tool (e.g. Marketo Hubspot, Pardot)
- Experience with project management tool (e.g. Asana, BaseCamp, GatherContent)
- Experience with communications platforms (e.g. Slack, Google Chat Enterprise)
- Experience with excel spreadsheet, PowerPoint, and/or Prezio
- Budget management experience
- Experience in a higher education environment
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist – Exempt II
Anticipated Hiring Range: $5,580/month - $6,000/month
Hiring Range: $4,693/month - $8,489/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: October 7, 2020 through October 27, 2020 . This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: October 07, 2020 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Academic Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Academic Administration Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Business & Administrative Support Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose