Director of Information Security
Howard Community College (HCC) is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! HCC has been awarded the distinction as a "Great College to Work for" since 2009 from The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Howard Community College values diversity among its faculty, staff and student population. We are an innovative institution that is committed to responding to the ever-changing needs and interests of a diverse and dynamic community. No matter where you want to go in your career, you can get there from here!
HCC is actively recruiting for a Director of Information Security to serve as a member of the senior technology leadership team responsible for oversight of campus-wide information security. This position will report to our campus in Columbia, MD.
The Information Security Director establishes and administers the overall strategies, policies and procedures for the information security department. Responsible for developing, implementing and monitoring information security and disaster recovery programs in accordance with HCC's information security standards. Responsible for evaluating information risk on a regular schedule and promote information security awareness within the organization. Responsible for performing regular system security audits as well as working with vendors, external auditors and other IT directors on information security strategies.
- Assists the VPIT in the preparation of information systems security strategic and operational plans.
- Responsible for the college information security program compliance with Federal, State, and local regulatory mandates.
- Responsible for developing, implementing and monitoring college information security policies, processes and procedures. This includes, but is not limited to, publication of the college Risk Management Framework, System Security Plan, Incident Response Plan, Continuity of Operations Plan, I.T. Strategic Plan and Disaster Recovery Plan.
- Responsible for coordinating, monitoring, and supervising the outcomes of vulnerability assessments, security audits and assessments, to ensure the college meets regulatory requirements.
- Researches, gathers, and compiles information for various reports and communications, including inputs to the state agencies, Board of Trustees, President's Team, and college community.
- Communicates with College constituencies regarding information security policies, processes and services.
- Responsible for developing, implementing and monitoring an information security training program.
- Responsible for assessing vendor security as part of the procurement process.
- Conducts research and recommends the adoption and deployment of information security services.
- Acts as the project manager for the implementation of campus-wide information security initiatives using formal project management tools.
- Responsible for managing campus-wide contracts with third-party agencies for the information security purposes.
- Responsible for developing and monitoring cost centers budget for core work and strategic projects.
- Supervises the information security department.
- BS degree (Masters preferred), in information systems computer science or related field and 7 years related experience with 5 years in a supervisory/management capacity.
- Knowledge of relevant information technology equipment, software applications, and database applications and processes.
- Ability to work with a significant level of detail.
- Ability to work with a high degree of independence.
- Familiarity with basic system administration tools, processes, and desktop applications.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Regular attendance is a requirement of this job.
- Performs all duties while considering the impact of any actions on the college's sustainability initiatives in the areas of environmental stewardship, social responsibility, and economic prosperity.
Hours Per Week: 37.5
Work Schedule: M-F 8:30am-5pm
Compensation: $76,364 minimum plus excellent medical, tuition reimbursement and paid leave
Best Consideration: October 30, 2020
Open Until Filled: Yes
*Pre-employment criminal background investigation is a condition of employment.
As a participating member of the Maryland Retirement and Pension System, HCC offers two retirement options: The Pension, which requires a 7% employee contribution and The ORP, a 403(b) with a 7.25% employer contribution only. Employees in positions that do not require a bachelor's degree must participate in The Pension. Employees that possess a bachelor's degree and hold professional positions that require a bachelor's degree may choose to participate in either The Pension or The ORP.
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance with the job application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 443-518-1100.
The following are required documents:
- Completed Application
- Cover Letter