Research Assistant I
The Department of Pediatrics Section of Tropical Medicine seeks a highly motivated and qualified Research Assistant I to work in the lab of Dr. Shannon Ronca. The purpose of the Research Assistant I position in the Department of Pediatrics-Tropical Medicine is to conduct responsible research work in virology, immunology, and epidemiology. The project will primarily focus on developing vaccines, treatments, and understanding mechanisms of viruses requiring Biosafety Level 3 handling, such as SARS-CoV-2, West Nile virus, and Chikungunya virus.
Please include a cover letter with your resume when submitting the application.
- Performs laboratory work in molecular and cellular biology and immunology, including but not limited to cell culture maintenance, DNA preparation, PCR, flow cytometry, and ELISA.
- Performs laboratory work in virology, including infectious work with in vitro and in vivo models, and viral titration assays. The majority of this work will occur at a BSL-3.
- Selects and performs appropriate research procedures.
- Master BSL-3 competencies and assist in running a BSL-3 training program.
- Ensures quality control of laboratory procedures, including test validations.
- Oversees the maintenance of lab equipment and environment.
- Data entry, cleaning, and analysis.
- Performs additional routine laboratory procedures to assist in the lab's research.
- Maintains an accurate, up-to-date, organized, and legible lab notebook that records all data according to methods requested.
- Conducts literature searches and summarizes information in an appropriate format.
- Analyzes results of experiments and reports to principal investigators.
- May assign duties to less experienced staff.
- Bachelor's degree in a Basic Science or a related field
- Two years of relevant experience
- Master's degree in a related field
- Bachelor’s degree in basic science (biology, molecular biology, immunology, microbiology, biotechnology, or a related field)
- Previous experience in a microbiology or molecular biology lab
- Previous experience with in vivo models
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Other Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston