AmeriCorps Technical Assistant - Grant funded (PT)
Position Title: AmeriCorps Technical Assistant - Grant funded (PT)
Salary: $15.00 per hour
High School Diploma or High School Equivalency Diploma with a minimum of one (1) year of construction related experience preferred or no High School Equivalency, but actively seeking HSE with two (2) years’ experience in the construction field required. Must possess a strong commitment to assisting youth succeed in an innovative training program to reorient their lives, nurture their leadership skills and enable them to make a difference in their community required. Ability to establish rapport and relate sensitively to a multiracial and multicultural group of youth required. Understanding of the issues facing youth in the community and a willingness to learn from our youth required. Must be team-oriented and with a non-judgmental attitude. Some travel is required for this position. A valid driver license is preferred. A successful three part background check is required to fill this position.
This professional will be an intricate part of a team helping at risk youth in our Department of Labor YouthBuild grant assisting 18-24 year olds prepare for workforce and educational advancement. This person as a construction and youth advocate will work with our team to educate, motivate and implement programmatic requirements meeting the grants desired outcomes. This individual will also assist with recruitment and retention of perspective candidates for the MVCC EOC programs.
Mohawk Valley Community College provides accessible, high-quality educational opportunities to meet the diverse needs of our students. We are the community’s college, committed to student success through partnerships, transfer and career pathways, and personal enrichment.
Works collaboratively with the Mohawk Valley YouthBuild grant-funded project team to build the youths’ leadership skills. Assists youth in the YouthBuild program with all construction related programming, including certifying students with a nationally-recognized credential. Provides youth of diverse backgrounds and from the high-needs population of the City of Utica with rigorous academic instruction, occupational skills and training and viable pathways to college and careers.
- Works with program participants on “hands-on” projects and provides conceptual and experiential training opportunities within the local community;
- Supervises program participants at the construction worksite to ensure that program participants are following safety precautions;
- Attends necessary trainings that benefit the YouthBuild program and participants;
- Participates in project planning and decision making as part of the construction team;
- Works with local employers and union representatives to assist trainees in passing union tests and enrolling in apprenticeship programs;
- Works with dedicated construction site’s timelines to complete projects in a timely manner with or without active participants.
- Partners with local agencies on special events and projects;
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of the Education Center.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
MVCC does not discriminate. MVCC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. MVCC offers a comprehensive employee enrichment program. Official academic transcripts required upon hire.
Review Start Date: 10/19/2020
Review of applications will begin on the review start date and will continue until successful candidates have been identified.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Utica
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Utica
- Adult & Continuing Education Programs Not specified Full Time jobs in Utica
- Extension Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Utica
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Utica