SBDC Director/Inland Empire Center for Entrepreneurship (IECE)
SBDC Director/Inland Empire Center for Entrepreneurship (IECE)
California State University, San Bernardino
Employment Status: Full-time, exempt, “MP” benefited position through December 31, 2021, (position may be renewed annually based upon satisfactory job performance, availability of work and continued funding).
Work Schedule: Varies, typically Monday-Friday between 8am and 5pm with some evenings.
First Review Deadline: This position will remain open until filled. Applications will be reviewed beginning October 19, 2020.
The Orange County/Inland Empire Small Business Development Center network (OCIE SBDC) is a federal program partially funded by the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) & the California Governor's Office of Business & Economic Development (GO-Biz). California State University Fullerton serves as the “Lead Center” and contracts with various organizations to serve as “host” organizations for the program. For the Inland Empire region, the Inland Empire Center for Entrepreneurship (IECE) at California State University San Bernardino (CSUSB) is the host organization. The program is operated by IECE though CSUSB's University Enterprises Corporation (UEC) which provides the administrative, accounting & financial, human resources and support structures for research and grant funded programs at the University.
The purpose of the Inland Empire SBDC program is to provide no-cost technical assistance to entrepreneurs and small business owners in the Inland Empire - San Bernardino and Riverside County (excluding the Coachella Valley). The Inland Empire SBDC operates from two (2) full-time office locations and seven (7) part-time outreach offices.
The SBDC Center Director is responsible for the operations, program/resource development, and promotion of the SBDC. This includes managing the staff, budget and programs of the SBDC in accordance with Federal, State, and UEC-CSUSB guidelines and in cooperative and collaborative community-based environment. In addition, the SBDC Director plays a key role as part of the IECE leadership team and is expected to exhibit the IECE Core Values and help maintain consistent effort toward achieving our core focus of supporting and celebrating entrepreneurs and small business owners.
Typical duties include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and implement a strategic plan consistent with the goals and strategic priorities of the overall OCIE SBDC Network program and the IECE.
- Maintain effort on achieving the core focus of supporting and celebrating entrepreneurs and small business owners.
- Analyze and evaluate service needs for clients and make appropriate assignments to consultants and other resources.
- Knowledge and management of multiple funding streams and expenditures, compliance and reporting.
- Proactively manage budget expenditures, recommend expenditures and maintain cumulative cash flow records for Center operation. Coordinate with UEC Auxiliary Accounting on all budget and financial transactions.
- Proposal development and submission of quarterly and annual reports.
- Ensure timely and accurate consulting data input into CRM system.
- Supervisory management of client control records and data.
- Evaluate and measure effectiveness and impact of center's programs and services.
- Recruit, select and evaluate employees.
- Supervise consultants training, consulting, and reporting activities.
- Promote staff development by utilizing continuing education opportunities to enhance professional development.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate a marketing plan for the SBDC program including strategies for local program promotion.
- Promote the SBDC program and advocate for small business through presentations to communities and entities.
- Represent IECE in an official capacity with regard to program activities, and coordinate communication with the business community of the Inland Empire region area and negotiations with the Lead Center and other relevant agencies.
- Fundraising of cash match for the program.
- Develop relationships with key stakeholders (external and internal) including but not limited to SBA District Office, UEC, banks, chambers of commerce, economic development organizations, educational institutions, legislators and trade groups.
- Provide and facilitate free, in depth confidential business consulting.
- Plan and market no cost training on subjects relevant to small business startup and growth stages.
- Participate fully on the IECE Leadership Team, including development of integrative and collaborative activities and programs and providing required reporting to the IECE Scorecard.
- Lead and manage the program in accordance with the core values
of the IECE, which include the following:
- At IECE, regardless of your role, you MUST think like an owner. We have become one of the largest Entrepreneurship Centers in the world because we take complete ownership of everything we do.
- On our team, if you are not RESULTS DRIVEN, you will feel like a stranger in a strange land. Results are what our students, community members and key partners expect from us, and what we consistently deliver.
- Constant learning is essential. If we are to live our core focus, we must be experts delivering state of the art, progressive programs and educational resources. Experts become leaders in their field because of their perpetual learning ambition - and they continue as leaders and influencers due to their willingness to learn, grow and expand.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree in a business related field is preferred; or equivalent experience in business management or business ownership in excess of 5 years; or equivalent experience in financial analysis in excess of 5 years; or Bachelor's degree in any field with either two years of business management or business ownership.
Small Business Experience
Must be a current small business owner or have owned a small business in the past.
Required business, management and program experience includes:
- Key understanding of current issues facing small business and experience in advising small businesses.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage and lead a diverse team for 3 or more years.
- Experience in managing multiple grants and contracts and adhering to financial and program reporting requirements.
- Experience delivering business presentations on a variety of topics in a public setting to diverse audiences.
- Experience in program development, including but not limited to grant and proposal writing.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious work relations with staff, clients, government agency(s), business resources, and the general public.
- Ability to perform effectively under the pressure of deadlines and other administrative demands.
- Computer skills with working knowledge of various software packages are necessary.
Additional Experience - In addition to the above required experience, the following is preferred experience:
- Experience in working collaboratively as part of a diverse senior leadership team with a focus on strategic planning and integrative program development and operations.
- Experience in working in a University and/or Auxiliary organization, or similar complex organizational operating context.
- Familiarity and experience working within the Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS).
UEC is an EOE - Minority/Female/Disability/Vets. This position will remain open until filled. This is a sensitive position and selected candidate must successfully pass a thorough background investigation to include a criminal history check, credit report and DMV check prior to appointment.
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex Cash option
- CalPERS Retirement
- CalPers 457
- Group Term Life/ Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D)
- Holidays & Personal Holiday
- Vacation and Sick pay accruals
- Educational Assistance - Benefit is based on availability of funding
- Workers' Compensation
- Unemployment Insurance
- State Disability Insurance
To view full description and to apply, visit: https://www.csusb.edu