Posting Number: SRGV4562
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Edinburg, Texas
Department: Campus Facilities Operations
Scope of Job:
To provide, coordinate, and supervise, the maintenance, repair, and installation of plumbing facilities. Responsible for the safe and efficient performance of plumbing skills associated with the operation, maintenance, repair, or installation of plumbing systems, fixtures, apparatus and equipment.
Description of Duties:
• Plans, supervises, and installs pipes, sinks, traps, washbowls, toilet fittings, drains, special laboratory sinks and drain tables.
• Plans and schedules the work.
• Gives supervision to workers and participates in the work as needed.
• Assigns workers to specific jobs; explains the work to be done; inspects the completed jobs.
• Performs inspections of building expansions; and orders materials for the maintenance or improvement of campus buildings.
• Makes periodic checks of plumbing facilities and report’s findings to superiors.
• Consults with various supervisory personnel concerning the planning of new facilities or remodeling projects.
• Repairs and maintains valves, faucets, traps, sinks, and vents.
• Connects hot water heaters, gas heaters and furnaces and tests for safety.
• Repairs sewer pipes.
• Unstops clogged lines.
• Performs minor carpentry, digging and cleanup duties related to the assignment.
• Emergency work on weekends/nights.
• Records and verifies workers’ time.
• Identifies material and tool requirements; estimates costs.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
General direction from the assigned supervisor.
Direct supervision of all assigned staff.
High school diploma or equivalent.
Journeyman plumber license.
Five (5) years of skilled/journeyman level plumbing experience including two (2) years of supervisory experience.
Six (6) or more years of the above experience.
Skilled use of wrenches, pipe-cutting and threading tools, metal saws and other similar tools of the trade and the use of gauges and pressure equipment in checking for leaks.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Must be able to perform strenuous physical duties, including but not limited to those listed above. Exposure to outside environments, hot, dry, wet, and cold; some work in restricted spaces, exposure to dampness, dust, some duties and working conditions may create bodily strain and discomfort. Duties may involve the carrying, lifting and moving of heavy objects, bending, stooping, crawling, climbing, reaching, and other activities requiring physical exertion; exposure to sewage and disagreeable odors. Work may involve digging and working in trenches to locate and repair pipes. Danger of falls, chemicals, electrical shock and burns, and hazards and conditions inherent to the trade or assignment.
This position will be subject to a pre-employment physical.
Physical Capabilities: N/A
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 07/30/2020
Grant Funded Position: No
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non discrimination in it’s education programs and activities, including employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please visit our Careers site at https://careers.utrgv.edu for detailed contact information.
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/25938