Instructor - Nurse Practitioner - Cardiology
This Advanced Practice Provider (APP) serves as a clinical expert, primary care practitioner and consultant within an inpatient or outpatient setting. The APP will support the Advanced Heart Failure service line with the management of specified populations though independent and collaborative clinical management.
The APP must have clinical experience in specialized care of an adult population and has completed an advanced Master's level educational program (Acute Care for NPs) or have a Bachelor's degree and equivalent experience as required per licensure. Based on established protocols/guidelines, the APP will collaborate with the attending physician to provide a comprehensive health assessment, including ordering laboratory and radiological tests, medical diagnoses of acute and chronic illnesses, write prescriptions, and formulate a treatment plan with an emphasis on health promotion, disease prevention and disease management. Additionally, the APP promotes positive patient health behaviors and self-care skills through education and counseling. Finally, the APP starts or continues treatment in cooperation with the physician.
Provides advanced nursing care to patients in a clinical setting in an area of specialization under the direction of a physician.
- Obtain detailed history and perform physical examinations.
- Perform, order, and interpret diagnostic procedures in accordance with relevant health concerns of the patient.
- Prescribes appropriate pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatments.
- Maintain records and write orders and progress notes in patient charts as to status, treatments, and procedures.
- Monitors and ensures accuracy of recording on patient medical records.
- Provide follow-up health maintenance care to patients in accordance with protocols established with the supervising physician.
- Communicate with physicians, patients, and the family members of patients concerning patient care.
- Collaborates with providers, and practice staff in identifying appropriate patients for care management.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
- Education Required: Master’s degree in in Nursing.
- Experience Required: None required.
- Certification/Licenses/Registration: Current license as a Registered Nurse (RN) by the State of Texas Board of Nursing. Current Texas Licensure as an Advanced Practice Nurse (APRN-NP), and specialty certification as required by department. Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.