Lead Teacher - Kitchen Aide
Lead Teacher - Kitchen Aide
This position is responsible for the menu planning and meal preparation for children in the Little Learners Child Care Center. This position is also responsible for the care of children in the center.
Essential Job Functions of Position
• Develop menus, prepare grocery lists and procure necessary items for children’s meals, following health and nutrition guidelines for young children. Prepare meals for child care participants when the Culinary Arts Program is unavailable to provide that service. Clean and maintain the kitchen in a sanitary manner adhering to child care licensing regulations.
• Review and critique student-developed menus, provide feedback and guidance to students to promote awareness of costs and nutrition in menu development.
• The primary focus of this position is Toddler/Preschool care. The incumbent will be expected to provide a positive role model for students and maintain a positive learning environment.
• Assist students in creating and implementing lesson plans and providing care to children in the program’s care. Review and evaluate lesson plans, monitor activities and provide feedback. Counsel students to facilitate improved planning, assist students in progressing through the program, and safeguard a high quality of care is provided to the children. Maintain records of students’ progress. Prepare and submit required reports in a timely manner.
• Keep the area (i.e. center organization, bulletin boards, displays, etc.) neat, orderly, and attractive for children and parents.
• Supervise the daily activities of the children in the program, maintaining a continual presence to ensure the safety of the children at all times.
• Provide kind, nurturing care for each child, creating a wholesome and healthy environment for the children and be a good role-model to the students.
• Review regulations, research industry publications, etc., to identify changes in child care standards and trends. Relay information on changes in standards and regulations to the Manager/Technical Instructor to facilitate curriculum development, continued regulatory compliance, and high quality of care for children in the program.
• Maintain necessary paperwork on children to document compliance with health, safety, discipline, and confidentiality policies according to licensing requirements.
• Develop and maintain working relationships and constructive interaction with other teachers and personnel of the school, cooperating agencies, community groups, and program-specific business and industry.
• Actively participate in professional organizations, attend seminars, conferences and workshops to maintain an awareness of current issues and developments in the program field to enhance and improve program effectiveness.
• Attend in-service training opportunities to stay well-informed in the field and compliant with licensing regulations as a lead teacher. Work with other teachers and staff in the program to identify and recruit advisory committee members who can provide consultation and advice relative to the direction and development of the program.
• Perform additional job-related duties as assigned or as appropriate.
Non-Essential Job Functions of Position
Education and Experience
High school diploma, GED, or equivalent. Must qualify as a lead teacher according to KDHE regulations by fulfilling one of the following:
Completion of 5 sessions of observation for not less than 2 1/2 consecutive hours per observation in licensed preschools or child care centers; and one year of teaching experience in licensed centers or preschools, or one year of supervised practicum in licensed centers or preschools; or
Completion of 7 semester hours of academic credit or equivalent training in child development or early childhood education; and 3 months’ teaching experience in licensed centers or preschools, or 1 year of supervised practicum in licensed centers or preschools.
Ability to plan and prepare meals for large groups according to the Child and Adult Care Food Program.
Three years of classroom experience. Some college coursework in education or early childhood education, preferably at least an associate degree.
Experience with meal planning and preparation for large groups according to the Child and Adult Care Food Program.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Licenses, Certifications & Registrations
Required to have in-service training for communicable illnesses before start date.
Certification in pediatric first aid and pediatric CPR, basic child development, child abuse and neglect, with abusive head trauma; either before the date of employment or not later than 30 calendar days after the date of employment.
Submit to Kansas Child Care Licensing Program Background Check as required by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment ( KDHE ).
Additional Requirements (e.g. Physical Demands)
Ability to move and maneuver equipment, materials, and children weighing as much as 50 pounds.
Campus Security Authority
Special Instructions to Applicant
$11.69 per hour
Monday - 8:30-5:30 (1 hour lunch), Tuesday - 8:30-5:30 (1 hour lunch), Wednesday - 8:30-5:30 (1 hour lunch), Thursday - 8:30-5:30 (1 hour lunch), Friday - 8:30-5:30 (1 hour lunch)
Average Hours per Week
Months per Year
Washburn is dedicated to providing a student-centered and teaching focused academic environment and a curriculum that engages the diversity of human experience across the globe. We seek candidates who are committed to Washburn’s efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Application materials should clearly articulate how the candidate will contribute to the University’s commitment to diversity and inclusion through their teaching, research, and/or service.
Washburn University is an EOE . Washburn University provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or marital or parental status.
Background Check Required?
Driving History Checked?
Drug Screen Required?
Anticipated Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
For earliest consideration apply by
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled?
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a high school diploma, GED or equivalent?
- * Do you meet the qualifications as a Lead Teacher for toddlers
and preschoolers as defined by KDHE?
- Yes, I meet all requirements
- No, but will complete by time of hire
- * Do you have three years of classroom experience in a toddler
or preschool classroom setting?
- * Do you have the ability to move and maneuver objects weighing
as much as 50 pounds?
- Cover Letter