Director, Accounting Services
The Director of Accounting Services reports to the Senior Associate Vice President for Finance in Accounting Services and is a key member of the finance leadership team. The Director is responsible for reporting the university’s results of operation and financial condition in conformance with generally accepted accounting principles, ensuring internal controls over financial reporting, and keeping abreast of relevant changes in accounting guidance. The Director also has budget and personnel management responsibilities.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
- Maintains the integrity of the university’s accounting records.
- Oversees reconciliation of account balances to external records, maintenance of the chart of accounts and related codes and tables, and adherence to federal, state, and CSU financial rules and regulations.
- Oversees comprehensive financial and management reporting for the university and consolidated financial information including the five incorporated auxiliary organizations, consistent with standard accounting practices and policies; organizes and manages external financial audits of the university.
- Oversees general accounting functions including bank reconciliation, financial aid accounting, accounts receivable maintenance, billing/chargebacks, and property tracking.
- Directs use of PeopleSoft General Ledger, AR/Billing, and Asset Management software.
- Coordinates upgrades and system development from functional manager perspective.
- Prepares progress reports, informs supervisor of project status and deviation from goals; prepares activity reports to guide management
- Works with other units/departments/divisions/colleges to coordinate workflow and activities to ensure a seamless operation.
- Identifies and determines cause of problems; develops and presents recommendations for improvement of established processes and practices; initiates and implements plans to solve problems.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), internal controls and financial reporting requirements.
- Thorough knowledge and skill related to general accounting functions including bank reconciliation, financial aid accounting, accounts receivable maintenance, and billing/chargebacks.
- Excellent customer service and public relation skills.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to set vision and establish strategy for the Accounting Services department.
- Ability to interpret and apply applicable rules, regulations, policies and procedures, and analyze situations accurately to adopt an effective course of action.
- Ability to effectively manage and evaluate the work of staff; assign duties and responsibilities; oversee work assignments to ensure work is done accurately and timely; and provide personnel development.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, prepare clear and concise reports, and to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in a mathematical or diagram form and deal with multiple abstract and concrete variables.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to make complex financial policies accessible to a lay audience.
- Equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree from a four-year college or university with a degree related to Finance, Accounting or relevant field
- Seven years of full-time progressively responsible work experience in the administration of accounting records, and external financial reporting functions, with four years in a managerial role
- Experience maintaining an ERP accounting system including the General Ledger, Accounts Receivable, Billing and Fixed Asset modules
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Management Accountant (CMA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Chartered Accountant (CA), or other applicable certificate
- Experience in higher education and fund accounting
- Experience using Oracle PeopleSoft ERP
Classification: Administrator III
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: October 5, 2020 through October 25, 2020 . This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: October 05, 2020 (6:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Accounting & Finance Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose