Extension Agent I - III – Urban Horticulture (63856)
The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences is committed to creating an environment that affirms diversity across a variety of dimensions, including ability, class, ethnicity/race, gender identity and expression. We particularly welcome applicants who can contribute to such an environment through their scholarship, teaching, mentoring, and professional service. We strongly encourage historically underrepresented groups to apply.
If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352-392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800-955-8771 (TDD) or visit Accessibility at UF .
The Univ. of Florida (UF) is a Land Grant institution with core values of unique purpose, excellence, integrity, collaboration and partnership, lifelong learning, diversity, responsiveness, innovation, communication, and global reach. IFAS employs more than 2,000 faculty and staff statewide. IFAS Extension employs 375 Extension Agents and has an office in each of Florida’s 67 counties.
Our mission in the Florida Cooperative Extension Service is to partner with communities to provide quality, relevant education and research-based expertise to foster healthy people, a healthy environment, and a healthy economy. We are the resource that helps educate Floridians to address issues related to agriculture, horticulture, natural resources, youth development, families and communities.
We are looking for candidates with both academic and people skills who work well in teams, honor their commitments, and innovate in a rapidly changing world. As an Urban Horticulture Extension Agent, you will work jointly for UF/IFAS Extension and Miami-Dade County. As an extension educator, you will lead through the design, implementation, and evaluation of horticulture educational programs designed to assist clientele maintaining their landscapes in a resource-efficient and environmentally-sensitive manner through the trained volunteer efforts of UF/IFAS Master Gardeners. You will devote most of your time creating and delivering a comprehensive urban horticulture education program with guidance from an advisory committee that incorporates the needs of the county’s diverse population. You will devote about 5% of your time contributing to our 4-H Youth Development program.
What you will do as the Urban Horticulture Extension Agent:
- Provide training for new Master Gardener volunteers and continuing education for experienced Master Gardeners.
- Develop, conduct, coordinate, evaluate, and report on educational programs for urban audiences. Provide horticulture-related educational programs to the urban community through the trained volunteer efforts of UF/IFAS Master Gardeners and their outreach programs.
- Teach residents about gardening and pest management, including insect, mite, disease, and weed management for their gardens and landscapes.
- Teach urban audiences about the most effective ways to adopt Florida-Friendly Landscape (FFL) principles to protect water resources and other related topics.
- Market the extension program through multi-media platforms.
- Target programs to reflect the county’s population diversity and unique educational needs using a variety of program delivery methods.
- Establish and maintain an effective advisory committee to assist with program development and implementation.
- Develop community partnerships.
- Work as part of a team with local citizens, organizations, agencies, and UF/IFAS colleagues on promoting Florida Friendly Landscapes in urban settings.
- Establish and maintain an effective system for accountability.
- Produce creative works and publications.
- Participate in professional societies.
- Write an annual plan of work and report of accomplishment.
- Assume other responsibilities that benefit the total county extension program as assigned by the District Extension Director and County Extension Director.
Employment is contingent on the results of a physical examination, a substance screening, and a national background screening.
Miami-Dade County ( http://miamidade.gov/wps/portal ) with a population of 2.7 million is located on the southern tip of the Florida peninsula. The main office is located in Homestead ( https://sfyl.ifas.ufl.edu/miami-dade/ ) about 1 mile from the UF/IFAS Tropical Research and Education Center ( http://trec.ifas.ufl.edu/ ). There are also four satellite Extension offices located in Hialeah, Miami Lakes, Palmetto Bay, and on the University of Miami campus on Virginia Key. Miami-Dade County Extension is part of the Southeast Extension District made up of twelve counties and the Seminole Tribe.
Extension is a partnership between state, federal, and county governments to provide scientific knowledge and expertise to the public. As such, all partners are involved in the supervision of the office and contribute to the salary and support resources. The primary goal of Extension is to disseminate the latest knowledge and applicable technologies in agriculture, human and natural resources, and the life sciences in order to sustain and enhance the quality of human life. The UF/IFAS mission is accomplished through Extension faculty members, scientists, educators, administrative staff, and volunteers working cohesively throughout Florida’s 67 counties.
Candidates will be reviewed as applications are received, but please be aware that interviews might not be scheduled until 4 to 6 weeks after the position closing date. Are you a good match? Apply today!
What you will bring (required):
- A bachelor’s degree in plant science, horticulture science, or a closely related field from an accredited college or university. Candidates graduating with a bachelor’s by December 2020 are also welcome to apply. If hired solely with a bachelor’s degree, we want you to advance your career by making at least 50% progress towards obtaining your master’s degree within the first 6 years of employment.
- Strong written and verbal interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to establish solid partnerships and to find innovative ways to attract new audiences and volunteers.
- A commitment to customer service.
- Ability to possess (or be able to obtain) a Florida driver’s license.
- Flexibility with working hours; willingness to work irregular hours, including evenings, weekends and overnight travel.
What you will bring (preferred):
- A master’s degree in plant science, horticulture science, or a closely related field from an accredited college or university.
- Experience creating lesson plans, developing instructional materials, and applying teaching methods appropriate for the audience
- Experience in working with volunteers.
- A strong commitment to community and volunteer education.
- Practical experience in extension education, particularly in south Florida horticulture and Florida Friendly Landscapes.
- Evidence of exceptional collaborations, partnerships, and marketing with community agencies and groups.
- Experience working in multicultural settings; bilingual in English/Spanish is a plus.
- Technological literacy necessary for communication and program management.
Apply at http://apply.interfolio.com/78295 by 11:59 p.m. (Eastern) of the posting end date, and attach:
- Cover letter that describes how your experience and qualifications have prepared you for this position
- Résumé or Curriculum vitae
The following documents are required and may either be submitted through the above link at the time of application, or sent separately to our office (below).
- Current and Previous Employment Form (located at https://hr.ifas.ufl.edu/resources/form-index/current-and-previous-employment-form/ ).
- Unofficial copies of all transcripts and/or coursework of your academic degrees
- A minimum of 3 reference rating forms (located at http://hr.ifas.ufl.edu/assets/pdf/forms/ref_form.pdf ) from your professional/academic references. Reference forms will be kept on file for 1 year and will be automatically used with any of our extension agent positions you apply for during that time.
Reference rating forms and unofficial transcripts not submitted at the time of application should be submitted/postmarked by the next business day after the position’s closing date. They may be submitted to:
Ms. Dana LeCuyer
UF IFAS Human Resources
Faculty Recruitment and Hiring
P O Box 110281
Gainesville, FL 32611-0281
Fax: (352) 392-3226
Selected candidate will be required to provide an official transcript to the hiring department upon hire. A transcript will not be considered “official” if a designation of “Issued to Student” is visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside of the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional credentialing service provider approved by National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) .
If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352-392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800-955-8771 (TDD).
Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the US. Searches are conducted in accordance with Florida’s Sunshine Law.
The University of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff. The University and greater Gainesville community enjoy a diversity of cultural events, restaurants, year-round outdoor recreational activities, and social opportunities.
The University of Florida is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Homestead
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Homestead
- Agriculture & Animal Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Homestead
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Homestead
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Homestead