PartTime Instructor - Geographic Information Systems
Posting Number: 06001789 Position Title: PartTime Instructor - Geographic Information Systems Posting Date: 09/30/2020 Closing Date: 06/30/2021 Open Until Filled (notes): Length of Position: As needed Anticipated Start Date:
Position Type/Employee Class: Part-Time Instructor FTE: Salary Level: Part Time Instructor Starting Pay Range $616 per load unit (1 LU ~= 1 class credit) as per PT Salary Schedule, Step 1 Hours per Week: Varies per term Work Schedule: Varies per term Days of the Week: Varies per term Job Summary/Purpose:
Provide instruction of credit and/or noncredit courses, workshops, and seminars in geographic information systems on an as-needed basis (term-by-term).
Terms of Employment:
• This is a part-time (< .50 FTE ) non-benefited position, hired on a term-by-term basis. Hours of work may include evening or weekend teaching assignments.
• Part-Time Faculty compensation begins at Step 1 / $616 per load unit (LU). Load Unit is equivalent to class credit; and shall include both teaching and other assignments.
• Part-Time Faculty positions are not represented by the Faculty Forum Collective Bargaining Agreement.
• Initial assignment will be at the Bend Campus. May include travel throughout the College district.
• Official transcripts are required upon hire. Applicants anticipating Degree completion must supply a letter from his/her university stating the degree title and that the degree will be granted by that date.
• Upon hire, must pass criminal background check and/or driving history; only information relevant to the position will be considered.
1. Provide instruction in two or more Geographic Information Systems topics:
a. Introduction to Geographic Information Systems
b. Analysis of Spatial Data
c. Geodatabase Design
d. Spatial Data Collection
e. Data Conversion and Documentation
2. Lecture and guide synchronous in-person or online class activities, online/web-based asynchronous activities, provide individual conference time and office hours to guide and evaluate student progress, and grading of assignments and labs. Teaching assignments may include courses taught during the day and/or evening, classes taught on or off campus.
3. Work cooperatively with the GIS instructional team and accept direction from assigned Designated and Peer Evaluators in developing and implementing syllabi, teaching methods, assignments, and grading standards to achieve program-wide student learning outcomes.
4. Cooperate with other College personnel to assist students with career planning, job placement, and follow-up studies.
5. Be accessible and responsive to student, departmental and College announcements, not only by addressing contacts face-to-face during class and office hours, but also by monitoring frequently and responding promptly to communications initiated via the faculty member’s departmental office mail box, COCC office telephone voicemail, COCC network email, and COCC Outlook meetings maintained by the department and its programs.
6. Act as a resource person for students.
7. Perform other essential duties by required deadlines relevant to part-time faculty teaching assignments, as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Instructors must possess these knowledge, skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the instructor can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities:
1. Thorough knowledge in ArcGIS ArcPro, ArcGIS ArcMap, AGOL and Geographic Information Systems terminology and concepts.
2. Knowledge of teaching and instruction of various audiences and group dynamics.
3. Visual ability, corrected, to enable instructor to observe, direct, and supervise students in classroom situations.
4. Familiarity with and ability to operate or oversee the operation of audio-visual equipment, including overhead projectors, video, and audio equipment including computer controlled mixed media presentations.
5. Ability to operate or oversee the operation of computers and other written materials.
6. Ability to orally communicate effectively with others, using the English language, with or without the use of an interpreter.
7. Ability to communicate effectively in writing, using the English language, with or without the use of auxiliary aids or services.
8. Ability to review, understand and apply concepts presented in training programs, conferences, and/or professional literature.
9. Ability to work with GIS faculty and other COCC staffs at all levels.
10. Willingness to travel and/or teach at various hours and locations, as required.
11. Ability to work cooperatively with and contribute to a diverse workplace through ideas or experience.
12. Skills to effectively provide instruction for a diverse student population.
Physical Demands and Other Ergonomic Requirements:
Work may be performed in classroom and office environments or online with the ability to sit or stand at workstation for extended periods. The employee may regularly be required to use computers, learning management systems, white boards, projectors, and other basic content delivery equipment. The employee is regularly required to sit or stand, use hands and fingers, handle or feel objects, tools or controls, reach with hands and arms and requires near visual acuity to write, read written materials and computer screens, and sufficient hearing and speech ability for ordinary conversations. Computer screen is used frequently. Possibly lifting up to 25 lbs. Travel throughout the College district as needed. A flexible work schedule, including evenings and weekends, may be necessary due to the nature of the position responsibilities. The employee is required to
meet physical and ergonomic requirements of the program area as this may vary with positions. All individuals are required to be able to perform the essential functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement
It is the policy of Central Oregon Community College that there will be no discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, disability, sex, marital status, national origin, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, or any of the classes protected under Federal and State statutes in any education program, activities, or employment. Persons having questions about equal opportunity and nondiscrimination should contact the Equal Employment Officer, c/o COCC’s Human Resources office, 541.383.7216.
In support of COCC’s EEO statement, employees with bilingual fluency in English and Spanish is considered a plus, along with experience working in a diverse multicultural setting.
1. Instructor has a degree or credential appropriate in the field of primary assignment ( AAS, BS, or MS, depending on the program).
2. Experience working in the field using current versions of ArcGIS Arcmap, ArcGIS Pro, AGOL and Geographic Information System concepts.
The College recognizes the value of skills and knowledge gained outside of formal higher education and paid employment. Applicants who do not meet minimum qualifications but present other qualifications or experience equivalent to those required will be considered and are encouraged to apply. To qualify under equivalency, applicants must indicate how they qualify under equivalency by responding to the supplemental question presented during the application process.
• Master’s Degree in GIS / CIS /Geography or equivalent experience in the industry is a plus.
• Geographic Information Systems ( GIS ) Professional Certification.
• Prior higher education teaching experience
• Recent work experience in the computer field.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Part-time instructor pools are posted for the academic year to obtain applications from those interested in teaching part-time as a non-benefited instructor, on a term-by-term basis. Positions may not necessarily be available at the time you apply. Your online application will remain active for consideration throughout the length of the posting unless you are notified otherwise.
COCC is not able to support work visas for this position. Candidates must be able to work in the United States at time of employment.
Note that you will be required to upload/create the required documents indicated in this posting at the time you apply. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at application. It is the responsibility of the applicant to upload all required documents, including transcript(s). If you have questions please contact HR at 541-383-7216.
If you have letters of recommendation that are being sent directly to HR, please upload a Word document or PDF stating these documents are being sent to HR. This will act as a placeholder for your required documents and allow you to continue your application process and submit.
Is a Criminal History Check required? Yes Is a Credit History Check Required? No Open Until Filled Yes Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * The College is NOT able to support Visa applications for this
position. Applicants must already be eligible to work in the United
States to be considered for this position. Are you, or will you be
eligible to work in the US by the start date of the position?
- * Choose your highest level of education:
- No High School Diploma or GED
- High School Diploma or GED
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree in Progress
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree in Progress
- Masters Degree
- Ph.D. in Progress
- Other Doctorate Level Degree
- * How many years of COLLEGE LEVEL teaching experience do you
- Less than 1 year
- 1-2 years
- 2-3 years
- 3 years
- More than 3 years
- * Are you a U.S. military veteran? (COCC provides qualifying
veterans and disabled veterans with preference in employment. To
receive veterans preference in this recruitment process, you must
upload your DD214 or DD215 form as supporting documentation. You
will have the opportunity to upload the document in the next step
of this application process.)
- Yes, I am a veteran
- No, I am not a veteran
- The College recognizes the value of skills and knowledge gained
outside of formal higher education and paid employment. Applicants
who do not meet minimum qualifications, but present other
qualifications or experience equivalent to those required will be
considered and are encouraged to apply. There may be other
requirements where an equivalency is acceptable. Please be aware
that applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements and do not
provide an equivalency statement will not be selected for an
interview. Your statement should make clear the requirement you are
addressing. Example: The position requires a Master’s degree. You
have a Bachelor’s degree, additional applicable education, and work
experience that when combined you believe is equivalent to the
Master’s degree requirement. Please provide a clear statement why
you believe this combined education and experience is equivalent to
a Master’s degree.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Background checks are required for all employees of COCC.
Should an offer of employment be made to you and accepted by you,
you will receive an email from COCC / HireRight Screening
requesting your consent and basic information to complete the
check. The offer of employment will be conditional upon
satisfactory completion of the criminal background check. Confirmed
findings on a criminal background check will not automatically
disqualify you from being hired into a position. Results are
evaluated on a case-by-case basis, considering the job
responsibilities and other risk factors. Additional information
regarding COCC’s criminal history check policy can be found online
in the General Procedures Manual, Section HR-2-1. Please indicate
here if you will provide consent to the criminal history check when
requested by the College:
- Yes, I will provide my consent when requested
- No, I will not provide my consent when requested
- * COCC has campuses in Bend, Prineville, Redmond, and Madras.
Please indicate in which locations you are willing to teach.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Although only a desirable qualification, do you possess a GIS
Professioinal (GISP) certification?
- * Although you may have done so in your application, please
describe your knowledge of current versions of ArcGIS, ArcPro,
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- College Transcript 1 (unofficial)
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3
- College Transcript 2 (unofficial)
- College Transcript 3 (unofficial)
- College Transcript 4 (unofficial)
- US Military DD 214
- Other Document 1
- Other Document 2
- Other Document 3
- Other Document 4
- Other Document 5
- Teaching Philosophy/Evidence of Teaching Potential
- Placement File, if applicable
- License or Certification