University of Idaho
Recycling, Surplus, & Solid Waste Technician
Division/College: Facilities Management
Employee Category: Classified
Pay Range: $16.13 - $19.50 per hour, depending on experience and education
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Working within a team environment and under the general direction of the RSSW Supervisor, the incumbent of this position performs skilled duties in support of departmental goals involving the management and operation of the recycling, surplus and solid waste programs at the university. The work includes: loading, unloading, picking-up and delivering surplus, recyclable and solid waste items; handling, sorting, categorizing and disposing of these materials; tracking all property being handled from receipt to final disposition; entering data and managing electronic information using various computer software programs; developing new outlets for disbursement of surplus or recyclable property; operating trucks, forklifts, scales and a variety of other moving and handling equipment; providing support and assistance to departmental programs; and contributing to the team effort.
This is an essential position that will be called upon in the event of an emergency and/or University closure.
- High School Diploma required.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in the areas of recycling, solid waste, surplus or related fields, including handling, sorting, storing or receiving materials; and setting priorities and organizing daily work responsibilities.
- Experience communicating with customers and team members using a variety of methods including in-person, telephone, and email.
- Experience researching and determining value of an item, handling the sale of goods to customers, inputting and calculating totals in spreadsheets and using numbers in recordkeeping tasks.
- Experience applying safety procedures for loading, unloading and stacking materials.
- Experience using computers for data entry, researching a variety of information, sending and receiving email and daily time tracking methods.
- Experience in the operation and maintenance of vehicles or other materials-handling and mechanical equipment such as flatbed trucks, box vans, stake bed trucks, pallet jacks and scales.
- Must possess: a valid motor vehicle operator’s license and be able to meet policy requirements for driving University vehicles.
- One to two years of post-secondary education related to the solid waste and recycling industries, with emphasis on current regulations, rules, and practices; experience and/or training related to state and federal property disposal guidelines.
- Experience and/or education concerning the safe handling and shipping of hazardous materials.
- 2-5 years experience in warehousing or production in a recycling, collection center or warehouse environment.
- 1-2 year shipping experience dealing with DOT regulations.
- Experience, and/or certification in forklift operations.
- Experience in safely handling hazardous materials and/or certification involving hazardous materials safety training.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
- Ability to lift, carry and/or otherwise move up to 50 pounds in a routine, repetitive manner as needed.
- Ability to work routinely on uneven and slick surfaces.
- Must be willing to work weekends and nights for events, on-call or emergency services; have the ability to be contacted by phone; and have reliable transportation for reporting to the job site.
- Ability to push/pull and/or otherwise move loaded wheeled carts, containers or tow units by hand over hard surfaces in inclement weather, some of which can weigh up to 1000 pounds.
- 60% Year Round- Inside- In heated and unheated spaces performing daily required tasks and duties.
- 40% Year Round- Outside- in inclement weather conditions.
- Must be willing to cross-train and perform the duties, tasks and routes of other RSSW team members as needed during absences.
Posting Number: SP002604P
Posting Date: 10/02/2020
Closing Date: 10/18/2020
Open Until Filled: No
Background Check: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
To apply, please visit: jobs.uidaho.edu
University of Idaho is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.