Web Developer II (SAIL)
Web Developer II (SAIL)
Founded in 1898, Northeastern is a global research university and a world leader in experiential learning. The same commitment to connecting with the world drives our use-inspired research enterprise. The university offers a comprehensive range of undergraduate and graduate programs leading to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools. Our campuses in Charlotte, N.C., San Francisco, Seattle, and Toronto are regional platforms for undergraduate and graduate learning and collaborative research. Northeastern pursues advanced research in security and materials at the Innovation Campus in Burlington, Massachusetts, and in coastal sustainability at the Marine Science Center in Nahant, Massachusetts.
About the Opportunity:
Northeastern University is advancing its next generation experiential learning through the development of a student learning framework and platform that integrates what we know from the learning sciences: Self-Authored Integrated Learning (SAIL). We are seeking a Web Developer II who will bring added knowledge and frameworks to our talented SAIL web engineering team in ITS. This role will work closely with the iOS and Android developers. To date, the team works most with Ruby on Rails, & ReactJS. As a member of the SAIL team https://sail.northeastern.edu/about/) the Web Developer II acts as a key member of the digital technology capability at Northeastern, helping to keep ITS at the forefront of higher education and deliver upon our university NU 2025 vision (https://www.northeastern.edu/2025/) and Robot Proof Future (http://robot-proof.com).
Information Technology Services (ITS) is a partner in the advancement of teaching, learning, and research at Northeastern University. We forge pathways to academic and professional successes through secure, collaborative solutions that propel innovation on individual, institutional, and global levels. As a member of our team, you will be part of exciting technology initiatives not found at other universities. https://its.northeastern.edu/careers/" href="https://its.northeastern.edu/careers/" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Learn more about our culture, benefits, and how you can bring digital learning to life with us.
- Follow university and ITS processes and policies as required.
- Communicate required corrective action as necessary.
- Act as the functional area expert on how to handle exceptions.
- Provide positive insight and encourage collaboration and consistency.
- Escalate potential issues to the Director of D. Studio.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or similar field
- 3+ years working with SQL or related database technologies
- 1+ years in software development in a team environment
- 3-7 years work experience
- Knowledge of AWS cloud platform
- Experienced and interested in Ruby, Elixir, Java, Python, Node.JS, Phoenix Elixir, or other backend programming language or framework
- Familiarity with SQL; no-SQL a plus
- Familiar with all phases of the software development lifecycle
- Expertise in test-driven development (TDD) methodology and tools
- Have worked in Agile environment (Scrum preferred)
- Familiarity with both version control (git) and one or more cloud hosting providers
- Familiarity with cloud technologies and development environment like Amazon Web Services & Firebase
A criminal background check is required for this position.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/879/cw/en-us/job/502524