Campus Safety Officer Full Time Regular
A full-time (80 hours bi-weekly) Campus Safety Officer position
is available for NYS licensed Security Guard. This position is
responsible for ensuring the safety and security of all members of
the campus community in a customer service centric manner. Campus
Safety Officers conduct safety training, engage in community
outreach, respond to emergencies, render first-aid, investigate
incidents, and document violations of law or policy. The position
involves vehicle and foot patrol, and periodic dispatching and desk
duties for Campus Safety, Facilities and Campus EMS .
1. Conducts routine patrol duties throughout the campus performing various lock/unlock assignments, answering non-emergency calls for service, investigating accidents and incidents, rendering first-aid, conducting security assessments and crime prevention initiatives, and community engagement. While on patrol, identifies potential safety risks such as parking violations, unlocked doors, or damaged safety equipment, and they work to correct them.
2. Responds to emergency events by quickly assessing the situation, contacting the necessary resources to address the problem, keeping community members safe and informed, and properly documenting the event and steps taken to remediate it in a clear concise written report.
3. Generates accurate incident reports using Computer Aided Dispatch and report writing software.
4. Deescalates potentially volatile situations and enlists additional support as needed.
5. Delivers training and education programs to stakeholder groups.
6. Performs desk duties, which include, but are not limited to, providing customer service to “walk in” visitors, responding to and monitoring radio transmission, and triaging/assessing the importance of incident information that must be communicated to stakeholders in a timely manner.
7. Functions both as NYS licensed Security Guards and as Campus Security Authorities, defined within the Clery Act (34 CFR 688.46a). Generates timely warnings and crime alerts in accordance with department policy.
8. Tracks and documents items of value e.g. lost and found in accordance with departmental and college guidelines.
9. Performs other related duties as assigned by leadership.Minimum Qualifications
Education: High School Diploma or Equivalent
Experience: Must possess and maintain a New York State Security Guard License (or meet law enforcement requirements for an exemption) and a valid NYS driver’s license. Additionally:
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills are necessary.
• Excellent interpersonal skills are essential to this position. Officers interact with various individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Officers must use their skills to resolve disputes, deescalate situations, and promote good public relations.
• Computer proficiency related to data entry and word processing is required.
• The ability to multi-task and changes priorities based upon developing information.
Other: Officers will be expected to work various shifts throughout the year including holidays and weekends. Officers are expected to work key events, including, but not limited to, Commencement (Mid-May), Move-In Days (Labor Day Weekend) and Move-Out Days (Mid-May). Mandatory overtime may be required.
• Officers need to maintain a sufficient level of physical
fitness to allow them to perform essential functions of the
position related to health and safety. Extensive walking is
required. During some emergencies the use of elevators is
prohibited. Officers will routinely need to traverse up to four (4)
flights of stairs in a timely manner to security incident and
perform regular patrol duties. Officers will occasionally have to
negotiate up to 12 flights of stairs in a timely manner to properly
respond to emergencies.
• The College will engage in pre-employment physical fitness evaluation to ensure that candidates are able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. The College reserves the right to require additional physical fitness evaluations to ensure that officers are able to perform the essential functions of this role with or without reasonable accommodation.
• This position requires a significant amount of work outdoors, and therefore, may involve exposure to diverse weather, including severe or extreme weather.
Skidmore College is committed to being an inclusive campus
community and, as an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not
discriminate in its hiring or employment practices on the basis of
race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, national or ethnic
origin, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status,
marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, genetic information, predisposition or carrier status,
domestic violence victim status, familial status, dating violence,
or stalking, or any other category protected by applicable federal,
state or local laws.
Employment at Skidmore College is contingent upon an acceptable background check result.
CREATIVE THOUGHT MATTERS .
To be considered for this position, please fill out an online application and attach the following documents: cover letter, resume and list of three references to include name, title, company, email address and telephone number of three professional references.
All documents must be attached through the application system. If you encounter difficulty, please contact Human Resources at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 518 580.5802Posting Date 09/24/2020 Closing Date