Assistant Professor of Interdisciplinary Arts & Sciences
The Department of Interdisciplinary Arts & Sciences at Dixie State University (DSU) in St. George, Utah, invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track Assistant Professor to start July 1, 2021. The department, located within the College of Education, serves as a hub for interdisciplinary activities on campus and is the home for both the Integrated Studies (INTS) and the Individualized Studies (INDS) baccalaureate degree programs. More information about the department and its associated programs and faculty can be found online at https://integratedstudies.dixie.edu/ .
- Teach interdisciplinary courses in the INTS and INDS programs and in support of other university majors; provide regular institutional service as outlined in Regent and University policy.
- Participate in university and departmental student recruitment and retention initiatives.
- Collaborate closely with current IAS faculty and staff to envision and develop innovative curricula and revise current course offerings to provide students with relevant skills and knowledge to meet contemporary real-world challenges.
- Facilitate service learning and community engagement.
- Work with the department chair, the dean, and other faculty to
advance the university’s mission through activities, including:
- Conducting student assessment;
- Mentoring part-time instructors (adjunct faculty);
- Performing service for the college and university.
- Provide input on INDS academic plans; assess and provide oversight of INDS senior portfolios.
- Fulfill faculty responsibilities, including participating in department events and committee work, holding regular office hours, and mentoring students working on a diverse range of theses/senior projects.
- Terminal degree(s) in an interdisciplinary field of study or in multiple disciplines from accredited institution(s) required.
- Teaching background in an interdisciplinary degree program and/or courses that engage interdisciplinary subject matter, with a demonstrated ability to successfully teach courses (finalists will be required to demonstrate competency via a teaching demonstration).
- Experience guiding undergraduate student thesis and/or senior projects preferred.
- Demonstrated research and/or industry experience in an interdisciplinary area of study.
- A publication record in an interdisciplinary field or at least two academic fields of study preferred.
- Demonstrated track record of excellence in mentoring students in written communication and critical thinking/analysis.
- Competence in utilizing technology for teaching tools and in creating innovative and high impact learning environments for students pursuing a diverse range of academic emphases.
- A background that complements existing faculty specialties.
- Ability to communicate clearly with students, staff and colleagues, both orally and in writing.
- An eagerness to engage with faculty, staff and administrators to develop ways to improve the students’ educational experiences.
POSITION DETAILS, COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: Full-time (9-month) tenure-track faculty position. Faculty service begins August 2021, with pay & benefits starting July 1, 2021. Annual salary of $54,000+, with additional compensation available for overload teaching. Excellent benefits package included – see https://humanresources.dixie.edu/employee-benefits/ under “Benefits Summary” for more details.
ELECTRONIC APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Application review begins November 9, 2020 ; position open until filled . Candidates must submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, contact information for three professional references (including email addresses), transcripts, and a Student Success Statement (1-2 pages about their teaching or other experience, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population). Please upload all of the requested documents when you submit your application. Employment is contingent upon successful completion and certification of required degrees and upon successfully passing a background check. If, because of a disability, you need special services or facilities in order to apply for this opening, please call the Human Resources Office (435) 652-7520.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY: Dixie State University is an open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic institution committed to exceptional student learning and success. DSU has adopted an instructional approach of "active learning. active life" and a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship. We seek faculty and staff committed to providing students with an active, applied and career-oriented learning environment that is student-centered. Established in 1911 as a community college and in 2013 as a state university, DSU is located in picturesque southwestern Utah with its red rocks, desert climate, over 300 days of sunshine annually, and featuring easy access to world-class outdoor recreational opportunities. The nearest metropolitan area is Las Vegas, NV (120 miles) with amenities such as an international airport and professional sporting teams. Click here to learn more about the University.
Dixie State currently has approximately 12,000 students and has been a fast-growing Utah public institution of higher education over the last several years. We offer over 210 programs, including masters, bachelors, associates, certificates, endorsements, minors, and/or emphases. DSU seeks to recruit and retain diverse and ambitious faculty and staff who bring new ideas, possess values and career aspirations aligned with the mission and vision, and are inspired to build a premier open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic university. DSU is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer; the President and employees of DSU are fully committed to Affirmative Action and within its programs and activities, including in admissions and employment, Dixie State University does not discriminate or tolerate discrimination, including harassment, based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by University policy, Title IX, or any other federal, state or local law.
The following individuals have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the application of Title IX and its implementing regulations and/or DSU’s non-discrimination policies:
- Director of Equity Compliance / Title IX Coordinator: Hazel Sainsbury - firstname.lastname@example.org , HCC 579, 435-652-7747.
- Deputy Title IX Coordinator: Abby Del Giacco - email@example.com , 435-652-7731.
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, firstname.lastname@example.org , 800-421-3481.
- U.S. Department of Education, Denver Regional Office, email@example.com , 303-844-5695.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint George
- Arts Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint George
- Other Arts Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint George
- Social & Behavioral Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint George
- Criminal Justice & Criminology Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint George