Part-Time Instructor - Certified Nursing Assistant Program
Posting Number: 06001788 Position Title: Part-Time Instructor - Certified Nursing Assistant Program Posting Date: Closing Date: 06/30/2021 Open Until Filled (notes): Length of Position: Contracts are on a term-by-term basis Anticipated Start Date:
Winter Term 2021
Position Type/Employee Class: Part-Time Instructor FTE: Salary Level: Part Time Instructor, $616/LU Starting Pay Range $616 per load unit (1 LU ~= 1 class credit) Hours per Week: 5 - 40 hours per month Work Schedule: depending on class schedule Days of the Week: Mon-Fri Job Summary/Purpose:
Provide instruction for students nursing assistant courses which include:
• Nursing Assistant Level One Certificate
• Certified Nursing Assistant- Level Two Acute Care registry
The instructor will be expected to teach level one- nursing assistant and level two- acute care certified nursing assistant skills lab and clinical curricula.
The focus of student instruction includes:
• Application of relevant theoretical frameworks
• Development and refinement of psychomotor skills
• Integration of pathophysiology and disease processes
• Nursing Assistant care of clients across the lifespan with alterations in health in hospital and community-based settings.
Nursing Assistant Faculty are expected to create a caring learning environment that will promote active learning and foster critical thinking.
Terms of Employment:
• This is a part-time (< .50 FTE ) non-benefited position, hired on a term-by-term basis. Hours of work may include evening or weekend teaching assignments.
• Part-Time Faculty compensation begins at Step 1 / $616 per load unit (LU). Load Unit is equivalent to class credit; and shall include both teaching and other assignments.
• Part-Time Faculty positions are not represented by the Faculty Forum Collective Bargaining Agreement.
• Initial assignment will be at the Bend Campus. May include travel throughout the College district.
• Official transcripts are required upon hire. Applicants anticipating Degree completion must supply a letter from his/her university stating the degree title and that the degree will be granted by that date.
• Upon hire, must pass criminal background check and/or driving history; only information relevant to the position will be considered.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND TASKS :
1. Provide Nursing Assistant Clinical and Lab Instruction.
The Nursing Assistant Program Curriculum uses a collaborative teaching model. A variety of teaching methodologies are used to deliver theory content, including lecture, demonstrations, classroom activities, and Blackboard activities and exams. Skills instruction takes place in a bed lab environment, where students practice Oregon State Board of Nursing mandated skills. Students demonstrate skills proficiency in formal check-off sessions, in student teams. Acute care and sub-acute care settings in the community allow students to practice direct patient care and check-off skills proficiency, with direct instructor supervision.
Faculty assignments include providing individual conference time to guide and evaluate student progress. Part-time teaching requires approximately 8 load units per term. Teaching occurs during the day. Nursing Assistant faculty are expected to perform all essential duties and tasks specific to the nursing department as outlined in the Nursing Program Faculty Handbook.
2. Serve as Role Model and Supervisor in Areas of Nursing Assistant Practice.
3. Office Hours and Student Contact. All instructors are expected to be available to their students outside of class when students are scheduled on campus. There is a minimum of at least one office hour per week for each course taught.
4. Meet as a Condition of Employment. Faculty must meet the minimum requirements for the position and such other appropriate college requirements that become necessary throughout the teaching career. Disclaimer: Hiring of the person into this role is contingent upon approval of the Oregon State Board of Nursing ( OSBN ).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Individuals must possess these knowledge, skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
1. Thorough knowledge in the field of instruction.
2. Knowledge of teaching and instruction of various audiences and group dynamics.
3. Visual ability, corrected, to enable instructors to observe, direct, and supervise students in laboratory situations.
4. Familiarity with and ability to operate or oversee the operation of audio-visual equipment, including overhead projectors, film, sound systems, video, television, interactive video and audio equipment including computer controlled mixed media presentations.
5. Ability to operate or oversee the operation of computers, online instructional delivery systems and other technologies.
6. Ability to orally communicate effectively with others, using the English language, with or without the use of an interpreter.
7. Ability to communicate effectively in writing, using the English language, with or without the use of auxiliary aids or services.
8. Ability to review, understand and apply concepts presented in training programs, conferences, and/or professional literature.
9. Ability to work with department faculty and other COCC staff at all levels.
Nursing Department Level:
1. Apply values for teaching and learning:
a. Create a learning climate of mutual respect and fairness.
b. Encourage creative and critical thinking.
c. Engage students in an active learning process.
d. Facilitate learning that applies to and enriches a students’ life.
e. Encourage mutual responsibility for a supportive learning environment.
f. Clarify expectations and encourage student responsibilities for learning.
g. Evaluate student progression across the sequence of courses.
h. Promote learning as a lifelong process.
2. Function as a life-long learner.
3. Willingness to develop knowledge and expertise in any area of the nursing curriculum.
4. Work in a cooperative manner with staff and faculty in the nursing department and individuals at affiliated healthcare facilities.
5. Provide leadership and assist in the direction of the nursing assistant courses.
All individuals are required to be able to perform essential functions without a significant risk of injury or to otherwise demonstrate or explain how they can perform the essential functions listed above.
Physical Demands and Other Ergonomic Requirements:
Individuals in the Nursing Department must be able to perform additional essential functions with reasonable accommodation according to ADA Standards without risking injury to self or others, or threatening the safety of clients, or to otherwise provide appropriate documentation how he/she can perform all essential functions as listed when ability is in question:
1. Strength and mobility sufficient to assist with practicum learning and client care activities.
2. Physical endurance sufficient to complete assigned periods of instruction, e.g. 5, 8, 10, and/or 12 hours shifts on days, evenings, or nights.
3. Cognitive ability to collect, analyze, and integrate information and knowledge to make clinical judgments and client management decisions that promote patient safety and student success.
Individuals in the Nursing Department may be exposed to blood or other potentially infectious materials in the practicum settings. All college employees who have been identified as having the potential for this exposure are required to complete a hepatitis B vaccination series.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement
It is the policy of Central Oregon Community College that there will be no discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, disability, sex, marital status, national origin, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, or any of the classes protected under Federal and State statutes in any education program, activities, or employment. Persons having questions about equal opportunity and nondiscrimination should contact the Equal Employment Officer, c/o COCC’s Human Resources office, 541.383.7216.
In support of COCC’s EEO statement, employees with bilingual fluency in English and Spanish is considered a plus, along with experience working in a diverse multicultural setting.
Education, License, Experience
1. Candidates must meet qualifications set forth by the Oregon State Board of Nursing, Division 61, Oregon Administrative Rules for a Clinical Teaching Associate. These include:
o Current, unencumbered license to practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse ( LPN ) or Registered Nurse (RN) in Oregon.
o One year experience as an LPN or RN
As well as these set forth by the College:
1. The candidate must show evidence of expertise in clinical nursing practice, with a minimum of two years’ clinical-based experience in direct patient care or as an instructor in a nursing education program or nursing continuing education program within the last ten years.
2. Requires demonstrated excellence in teaching or promise of excellence in instruction.
3. Strong interpersonal skills and ability to respond to changing demands.
Additional Qualifications (required):
• Current, unencumbered license to practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse ( LPN ) or Registered Nurse (RN) in Oregon.
Special Qualifications: Special Instructions to Applicants:
Part-time instructor pools are posted for the academic year to obtain applications from those interested in teaching part-time as a non-benefited instructor, on a term-by-term basis. Positions may not necessarily be available at the time you apply. Your online application will remain active for consideration throughout the length of the posting unless you are notified otherwise.
COCC is not able to support work visas for this position. Candidates must be able to work in the United States at time of employment.
Note that you will be required to upload/create the required documents indicated in this posting at the time you apply. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at application. It is the responsibility of the applicant to upload all required documents, including transcript(s). If you have questions please contact HR at 541-383-7216.
If you have letters of recommendation that are being sent directly to HR, please upload a Word document or PDF stating these documents are being sent to HR. This will act as a placeholder for your required documents and allow you to continue your application process and submit.
Is a Criminal History Check required? Yes Is a Credit History Check Required? No Open Until Filled Yes Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * The College is NOT able to support Visa applications for this
position. Applicants must already be eligible to work in the United
States to be considered for this position. Are you, or will you be
eligible to work in the US by the start date of the position?
- * Choose your highest level of education:
- No High School Diploma or GED
- High School Diploma or GED
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree in Progress
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree in Progress
- Masters Degree
- Ph.D. in Progress
- Other Doctorate Level Degree
- * How many years of COLLEGE LEVEL teaching experience do you
- Less than 1 year
- 1-2 years
- 2-3 years
- 3 years
- More than 3 years
- * Are you a U.S. military veteran? (COCC provides qualifying
veterans and disabled veterans with preference in employment. To
receive veterans preference in this recruitment process, you must
upload your DD214 or DD215 form as supporting documentation. You
will have the opportunity to upload the document in the next step
of this application process.)
- Yes, I am a veteran
- No, I am not a veteran
- The College recognizes the value of skills and knowledge gained
outside of formal higher education and paid employment. Applicants
who do not meet minimum qualifications, but present other
qualifications or experience equivalent to those required will be
considered and are encouraged to apply. There may be other
requirements where an equivalency is acceptable. Please be aware
that applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements and do not
provide an equivalency statement will not be selected for an
interview. Your statement should make clear the requirement you are
addressing. Example: The position requires a Master’s degree. You
have a Bachelor’s degree, additional applicable education, and work
experience that when combined you believe is equivalent to the
Master’s degree requirement. Please provide a clear statement why
you believe this combined education and experience is equivalent to
a Master’s degree.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Background checks are required for all employees of COCC.
Should an offer of employment be made to you and accepted by you,
you will receive an email from COCC / HireRight Screening
requesting your consent and basic information to complete the
check. The offer of employment will be conditional upon
satisfactory completion of the criminal background check. Confirmed
findings on a criminal background check will not automatically
disqualify you from being hired into a position. Results are
evaluated on a case-by-case basis, considering the job
responsibilities and other risk factors. Additional information
regarding COCC’s criminal history check policy can be found online
in the General Procedures Manual, Section HR-2-1. Please indicate
here if you will provide consent to the criminal history check when
requested by the College:
- Yes, I will provide my consent when requested
- No, I will not provide my consent when requested
- * COCC has campuses in Bend, Prineville, Redmond, and Madras.
Please indicate in which locations you are willing to teach.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you hold a current, unencumbered license to practice as a
Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) or Registered Nurse (RN) in Oregon?
- * Please describe how you meet the minimum requirement of
evidence of expertise in clinical nursing practice, with a minimum
of two years' clinical-based experience in direct patient care or
as an instructor in a nursing education program or nursing
continuing education program within the last ten years.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- College Transcript 1 (unofficial)
- License or Certification
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3
- College Transcript 2 (unofficial)
- College Transcript 3 (unofficial)
- College Transcript 4 (unofficial)
- US Military DD 214
- Other Document 1
- Other Document 2
- Other Document 3
- Other Document 4
- Other Document 5
- Teaching Philosophy/Evidence of Teaching Potential
- Placement File, if applicable