American Indian Student Advisor
Work Site Location: Coeur d' Alene Campus
The purpose of this position is to provide intentional academic advising and holistic support to North Idaho College prospective and current American Indian students in accordance with the institution’s commitment to tribal student success as outlined in the 9 Point Agreement. This position advocates for the cultural, social, and academic needs of American Indian students and upholds the fundamental tenets of tribal sovereignty. This position will assist with American Indian student recruitment, provide proactive advising to aid students’ academic and career exploration/planning, and offer mentorship for American Indian students seeking guidance to overcome barriers related to their educational goals.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background check.
Proof of degree required upon hire.
This list includes but is not limited to the following:
- Recognizes, advocates for, and provides support for the unique cultural, social, and academic needs of American Indian students.
- Fosters a positive and welcoming sense of “place” for American Indian students through the development of the American Indian Student Center and related programming.
- Assesses program functions and tracks retention, completion, and outcomes of focused student populations.
- Develops and maintains working relationships with cultural, spiritual and council leaders for the Coeur d'Alene and other tribes to support student success.
- Assists prospective and enrolled students in identifying and clarifying career and educational goals.
- Assists prospective and enrolled students in developing meaningful educational plans aligned with the students’ goals and objectives.
- Guides students through the enrollment process, including participation and collaboration in NIC new student orientation and advising programs.
- Develops and implements programming designed to assist students in areas of academics, career, and undergraduate transfer.
- Mentors students in college success skills and proactively refers students to resources of the college, community and tribal communities.
- Provides leadership in diversity and inclusion efforts at NIC, including collaborative engagement with the American Indian Studies program, Diversity Council, American Indian Advisory Committee, and other relevant units or committees.
- Assists in the recruitment of American Indian students to NIC.
- Advises American Indian Student Alliance student club at NIC.
- Assists in developing and implementing campus programming around American Indian themes.
- Supervises part time and/or work study employee(s).
- Maintains a positive, helpful, constructive attitude and work relationship with supervisor, college staff, students, and the community.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience : Bachelor’s Degree and 2 year(s) of experience
Additional Minimum Qualifications : Bachelor’s degree and two years of full-time related experience and/or training required. Experience working with American Indian students and various tribes required.
Required License and/or Certifications : Must possess valid driver’s license.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge and understanding of American Indian culture and student needs
- Knowledge of college operations, higher education and academic/career advising
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to conduct effective training and presentations
- Proficient skills using Microsoft Office applications
- Basic skills using student records system (Colleague preferred)
- Ability to operate standard office equipment including phone and copier
- Ability to travel
- Ability to perform duties on weekends and/or evenings as needed
- Knowledge of and skills in personal budget management
- Ability to work remotely is required
Advertised: 02 Oct 2020 Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: 23 Oct 2020 11:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Coeur D'Alene
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Coeur D'Alene
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Coeur D'Alene
- Admissions, Enrollment, Retention & Registrar Not specified Full Time jobs in Coeur D'Alene
- Minority & Multicultural Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Coeur D'Alene