About Oakton Community College :
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Basic Function and Responsibility:
The Purchasing Manager position is vital to the success and efficient functioning of the overall procurement process for the College. This position is responsible for the supervision of two purchasing assistants, as well as assisting the Director of Procurement in the Administrative Affairs Division for coordination of purchases, including drafting bid specifications where appropriate, advertising bids, obtaining quotations, and analyzing bid documents for completeness.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Obtain, research, and review specifications and information to
then develop and prepare bid specifications and quotes for
equipment, supplies, and services for all College departments.
Attend pre-bid and bid opening meetings when needed.
- Ensure that the outcome of selection processes follows best
practices and is in compliance with College procurement policies
and local, state, and federal requirements.
- Analyze and monitor all purchase requests against budgetary
limitations contacting administrators, faculty and staff as
necessary to notify of restrictions and/or discuss these
- Maintain institutional purchasing calendar to schedule
purchases for Board approval, prepare monthly Board agenda items,
and attend Board meetings when necessary.
- Review and verify all purchase orders, sign and approve orders
up to $5,000 and obtain proper approvals for orders over $5,000.
Review and sign/approve all bids, quotes and
- Maintain productive and professional relationships with current
and potential vendors. Interview and correspond with vendors to
discuss and evaluate products, services, and prices. Identify new
vendor contacts to expand vendor base.
- Coordinates deliveries and installation to ensure
standardization and prompt delivery for College
- Maintain the College's Business Enterprise Program (BEP)
including responsibility for tracking and reporting participation
results to the Board of Trustees and Illinois Community College
- Supervise staff employees in Purchasing including: hiring,
delegating assignments, training, monitoring and evaluating
performance, and initiating corrective or disciplinary
- Manage College credit cards, ensuring accuracy of account
codes, review transactions and report abuse; analyze and maintain
monthly records of usage and expenditures.
- Maintain adequate knowledge regarding various state laws,
purchasing acts, provisions, policies and procedures pertaining to
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- Bachelor's degree in a business related field (i.e.,
Purchasing, Business Management, Accounting, Materials Management)
or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which
comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired is
- Five or more years progressively responsible professional
purchasing experience. Two years supervisory experience is
required. Higher education setting preferred.
- Ability to summarize and communicate information both orally
and in writing.
- Certified Purchasing Manager certification is
- Work is done in a general office work environment with little or no exposure to adverse working conditions.
Administrative supervision is received from the Director of Procurement, Budget, and Planning.
Functional supervision is exercised over staff employees.
HOURS: Monday - Friday 8:15am - 5:00 pm
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Des Plaines
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Des Plaines
- Other Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Des Plaines
- Financial Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Des Plaines
- Auxiliary Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Des Plaines