Assistant Professor, Philosophy
As an Assistant Professor you will teach at the undergraduate or Graduate level, as applicable; Be involved in course and/or curriculum development; Conduct research/scholarship if applicable; Participate on College and University committees and/or initiatives; and perform other duties as assigned. The program is looking for applicants who will make strong teaching contributions to our general education curriculum and our new Law, Ethics, and Society (LES) track, advise students, work with the community in service learning, help to develop curriculum in the Philosophy BA and Medical Humanities, Religious Studies, and Critical Theory minors.
Florida Gulf Coast University is a comprehensive university dedicated to quality education, research, and service. All faculty are expected to: be excellent teachers, responsive to changing professional needs; be committed to innovative delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning; be committed to effective use of technology including distance learning; produce peer reviewed scholarship; and provide service to the College, University and Community. Teaching assignments may be on the main campus or at off-campus sites within our region
Typical duties include but are not limited to:
- Plans and teaches courses in assigned course.
- Prepares syllabi, instruction materials, coordinates lectures, tests, and evaluates.
- Maintains highest possible standards of classroom instruction.
- Keeps abreast of new information and developments in field of instruction.
- Actively serves on university committees.
- Actively participates in institutional meetings.
- Maintains professional skills through regular professional development, and other activities appropriate to higher education faculty.
- Assists with the development of curriculum.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Additional Job Description
- Earned PhD by the time of appointment in Philosophy from an accredited university.
- Applicants should demonstrate a record of teaching effectiveness and innovation for undergraduate education.
- Candidates will demonstrate the potential for scholarship resulting in publication.
- ABD considered at the rank of Instructor.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have broad teaching competencies in the history of philosophy, applied ethics (environmental, business, medical), and philosophy of law.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Ability to contribute effectively and collegially to a positive, dynamic, and inclusive learning environment for a diverse student population.
- Experience or commitment to the use of technology in university teaching. Interest in collaborating both within and outside the University in the development and delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning. Must value continued scholarship and service to the university, with a demonstrated ability or potential for developing a successful research program if applicable.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Appointment will be made on a 9 month multi-year appointment basis available August 2021.
Because applications and materials are subject to public review and retention under Florida’s Public Records Law, please DO NOT send examples of your project/ scholarship unless requested to do so. Therefore, all submitted materials including articles, disks, slides, books, etc., become the property of FGCU and CANNOT BE RETURNED. As applicable, finalists will be notified of the need to submit specific additional materials. Such materials will become the property of FGCU.
Under Florida’s Public Records law, applications will be available for public review upon request.
Required Application Materials:
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Curriculum Vitae
- Five (5) Professional References
Please upload the following additional materials in the available document upload sections:
- Letter of Application addressing the responsibilities and qualifications of the job description- upload in the Unofficial Transcripts Section
- Sample of recent Scholarship- upload in the Teaching Philosophy Section
- Evidence of teaching Effectiveness- upload in the Curriculum Vitae Section
This posting will close end of day Saturday December 5, 2020.
Salary is $56,000 - Negotiable
FGCU is an EOE AA /F/Vet/Disability Employer.