Senior Communications Manager and Lead Science Writer
University Code 13334 University Title Senior Manager 1, Communications University Job Family Communications ORP Eligible Yes For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Single Title Scope of Search Local Working Title Senior Communications Manager and Lead Science Writer Position Number 590850 Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department School of Medicine Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
The senior communications manager is responsible for the day-to-day management and operations of the SOM communications activities. Reporting to the SOM Chief of Staff, the communications manager will collaborate with peers and senior leadership to drive the long-range strategic planning and implementation of SOM internal and external communications. This position requires a comprehensive knowledge of the medical school and its missions of education, research and patient care to advance its strategic goals through innovative new practices. Excellent writing and verbal skills to include writing about science and research are critical to the success of this position.
This position will supervise a small team that will deliver high-quality internal and external communications, including a lead writer and content strategist and other positions that will be developed. This position is highly collaborative and will work closely with the chief of staff and senior web manager and web team in asset development.
Minimum Hiring Standards
• Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Public Affairs, Mass Communications or related field. Extensive work experience is required as a substitute for education
• Strong background in science writing
• 5+ years as a communications professional
• Demonstrated leadership skills, superior organizational skills, superior verbal/written communication skills
Preferred Hiring Standards
• Master’s degree in communications or related field preferred
• 10+ years as a communications professional with experience as a manager with preference for work in a university or academic medical center
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range $82,000 - $88,000 Application Process/Additional Information Campus MCV Campus Hours/Week 40 Normal Work Days/Hours M-F Job Open Date 10/02/2020 Posting will close on or before Open Until Filled Yes Job Category Accounting/ Management/ Professional Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? Yes Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link http://www.vcujobs.com/postings/100935 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Other Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Public Relations & Advertising Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond