Public Safety Officer (Certified)
The Public Safety Officer is responsible for the supervision of the Public Safety Student Staff on his/her shift and for directing the shift operation for all security and safety matters within the Public Safety Office and on Alfred University property. The position requires the protection of University property and to maintain order on campus. The Public Safety Officer responds to campus emergencies and provides services in the area of University safety, security, crime prevention; including but not limited to University policy and NYS laws, special events, campus information and assistance, parking and traffic control. The Public Safety Officer also must work well within the Division of Student Affairs and have a positive interaction with students, faculty and staff. This position has been evaluated for compliance with the Fair Labor Standards Act and is subject to premium pay for all hours worked in excess of 40 in a payroll week.
- Perform law enforcement and public safety activities in a manner which does not compromise the Alfred University atmosphere of academic and individual freedom.
- Enforce criminal law, university policies and procedures to protect persons and property from willful or accidental injury or damage.
- Work at all times toward maintaining the trust of the campus community so that the discharge of duties is effected with the understanding, cooperation, and support of the public served.
- Attend meetings, collaborate and deal effectively with a wide variety of people including students, faculty, staff, and visitors to Alfred University. Respond to and investigate alleged violations to the student code of conduct or criminal behavior inconsistent with the expectations of the Alfred University campus community.
- Prepare written factual reports of incidents and activities for submission to supervisor.
- Supervise the nightly operations of the Student Security Guard Staff. Officers must demonstrate a continuous high level of responsibility, integrity, and social awareness.
- In the absence of the Public Safety Chief, an officer must be able to fulfill the role of Incident Commander in University emergency situations.
- Public Safety Officers are required to comply with and attend any and all safety related policies and/or training and participate in any practices or events as may be assigned.
- Maintain a safe working environment within and around their facilities and associated equipment and supplies including, but not limited to, obtaining Safety Data Sheet (SDS) information pertaining to any hazards associated with their work environment.
- Safety: Participate in safety trainings and comply with safety rules, regulations, and protocols.
- Perform additional duties and assist with special projects as assigned.
- U.S. Citizenship and age of at least 21 years of age is
- Must be a certified New York State Police or Peace Officer,
have 2 years of respectable law enforcement experience or hold a
valid New York State Security Officer certificate.
- Must be able to meet and maintain the physical, hearing and
vision requirements necessary to maintain certification.
- Must obtain and/or hold and maintain a valid New York State
Driver's License with a record acceptable to Alfred University's
Alfred University actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee, student or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, gender identification or expression, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, military or veteran status, domestic violence victim status, criminal conviction status, political affiliation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Protected veterans, minorities and women are encouraged to apply.