Assistant Professor, English
School of Arts and Humanities
Requested Start Date:
Commensurate with experience
Normal Work Schedule:
Varies depending on department need and class schedule
Assistant Professors in the Department of English teach courses in areas of expertise and conduct scholarship and service expected for advancement.
- Responsible for curriculum and program development and professional development activities.
- Develop and implement a program of instruction that meets the individual needs, interests and abilities of students and is consistent with the University, SACS accreditation, and state study and curriculum guides.
- Assess student’s abilities as related to desired educational goals and objectives, in order to maximize student achievement.
- Serves as mentor for students.
- Manages the behaviors of learners in the classroom and participates in the management of student behavior in other parts of the campus, in order to provide a general environment conducive to the learning process.
- Plans and employs a variety of appropriate instructional/learning strategies and activities that are compatible with the physical facility but serve the needs and capabilities of the students.
- Communicate continually with students (either in writing or verbally) in regards to instructional expectations and student progress or lack of progress.
- Responsible for recording students’ attendance and keep attendance registers, according to JSU policy.
- Actively participates in and works with university personnel in planning effective instructional goals, objectives, methods and curriculum.
- Exhibit a commitment and ability to conduct scholarly activities and engage in professional, university, and community service.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the department head.
- Responsible for teaching undergraduate and graduate level courses in English.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Ph.D. in English or Professional Writing required by August 2021
- Ability to teach composition required.
- Evidence of good teaching and scholarly potential required.
- Specialty in writing for the web, user experience/user interface, writing for social media, podcasting and/or technical or business writing.
- Preference may be given to candidates with a subspecialty in composition and rhetoric, writing across the curriculum, and/or writing center administration.
Additional Required Information:
Please copy and provide the following link to your recommenders/dossier service to upload three (3) letters of recommendation on your behalf.
Letters of Recommendation Upload
Supplemental Questions: None
Clery Notice: In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, https://clerycenter.org/policy-resources/the-clery-act/ the Jacksonville State University Police provide information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three calendar years. The JSU Annual Campus Security and Fire Report is available online at: http://jsu.edu/police/docs/CleryAnnualReport.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity: JSU is an Equal Employment, Equal Opportunity, and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Jacksonville
- Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in Jacksonville
- Speech & Rhetoric Not specified Full Time jobs in Jacksonville
- Humanities Not specified Full Time jobs in Jacksonville
- English & Literature Not specified Full Time jobs in Jacksonville