Computer Support Specialist II, Information Technology & UMOnline
UM IT ( Information Technology ) and UMOnline at the University of Montana invites applications for a Computer Support Specialist II to join their team. Reporting to the Executive Director of Client Experience in UM Information Technology, the individual in this position is responsible for the day to day support and service provided by student technical staff. Additionally, this position serves as the lead advanced technical support for the LMS and associated applications at the University of Montana. The person assigned to this position will be responsible for responding to user needs in the form of issue resolution and technical training and assist with website maintenance as required.
- Responsible for the recruitment, hiring, and training of student technicians
- Responsible for managing day-to-day operations of UM IT Help TECs, including the supervision of student employees
- Responsible for assessing, observing, recommending, and implementing changes to improve the TEC program and technical support provided by student technicians
- Provide support for student staff to aid them in fulfilling their roles and job duties
- Serve as a liaison between end-users and appropriate support personnel and advise on technology issues as they arise
- Complete IT projects by performing as a project leader and manager, technician, and team member with role depending on the task. Utilize campus resources to solve problems and answer questions and refer problems to appropriate contacts.
- Work with student staff to keep UM IT help desk location(s) clean, organized, and functional
- Manage daily phone support, including training, standardization of execution, and assessment (logged calls and satisfaction survey)
- Work with student supervisory team(s) to create and student schedules. This includes, but is not limited to monitoring student staff attendance, missed office hours, office tardiness, etc.
- Attend departmental rounds with student staff occasionally to assist with difficult issues and to stay attuned to the current operations and needs of the departmental employees supported
- Facilitate set up and necessary assessment of student internship criteria
- Oversee progress on incident and service requests to ensure prompt and sufficient service, as well as accurate billing and solution documentation
- Work daily with other IT staff to maintain progress on tickets, taking on work, delegating, or escalating as appropriate
- Monitors and troubleshoots functions of the LMS and other technical issues regarding online course delivery
- Helps assess changing technology needs for UMOnline
- Assists in the implementation of LMS functions and design settings
- Investigates Moodle functionality and enhancements and implements as directed
- Assists with the installation of publisher content and course cartridges where appropriate
- Develop procedures for evaluating upgrades to Moodle
- Develops technical support materials and system documentation
- Co-ordinates awareness of existing and new technical issues and presents to the UMOnline team at regular bi-weekly meetings
- Act as a point of escalation for UMOnline faculty and campus staff support issues
UMOnline Support Services
- Serves as a team member in the UMOnline Technical Support group, addressing technical issues
- Helps assess effectiveness of the Learning Management System
- Assists with course shell creation and user account management.
- Responds to LMS user and course access issues
- Collaborate with the Instructional Design team to develop faculty and student training and support materials and conduct technical training sessions as required
- Provides reports as directed related to UMOnline courses, programs, supplements, students, and instructors
- Explores new technologies related to LMS integration in collaboration with the lead LMS administrator and UMOnline team
- Has excellent oral, written communication, and organizational skills.
- Serves as an informational and service contact for UMOnline
- Works in collaboration with instructional designers, help-desk, and Director
- May develop and support relationships with faculty related to the Moodle LMS as assigned by the Director
- Advise the Executive Directors on the creation and implementation of office standards and assist in evolving practices as internal structure changes
- Read all emails sent to UM IT Help Supervisors distribution list and disseminate appropriate information accordingly
- Serves as a member of UMOnline team by actively participating in staff meetings.
- Participates in the UMOnline operations meetings and collaborates closely with UMOnline staff
- Participates in new initiatives to advance the mission of UMOnline
- Works with independence and initiative to see work through to effective completion
- Facilitate TEC team meetings to ensure team goals are being met
- Ability to deliver exceptional customer service, be service oriented, forward looking, and innovative.
- Ability to use standard office and technical tools, such as:
- Microsoft Office Suite; Network shares; Command-line and console interaction; Remote Desktop Connection and other remote computing tools
- Experience managing or supervising
- Demonstrated ability to self-organize and manage work time and multiple priorities
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to changes in client needs as well as policies and procedures
- Extensive knowledge of operating systems and client devices:
- Windows; Mac OS; Desktops; Laptops; Tablets; Smart Phones
- Demonstrated ability to effectively troubleshoot end-user issues as well as back-end systems
- Experience with backend and client support of Learning Management Systems
- Communicate technical details effectively with lay users in person, over the phone, and in writing
- Ability to understand clients’ requirements and goals and translate those into functional business solutions
- Research skills to gather, analyze and organize information to generate meaningful solutions to complex problems
- Demonstrated ability to rapidly learn and implement new technologies
- Ability to fully and effectively document implementations according to office standards
- Ability to prepare, compile and disseminate written and online documentation
- Proven ability to work and function within a team environment and can multi-task
- Ability to communicate effectively, project a positive image and communicate technical issues to a non-technical audienceDemonstrated proclivity to anticipate emerging needs and the initiative to develop and recommend solutions
- This position requires incumbent to develop a working knowledge of support ticketing systems, task or project management tools, system management and provisioning systems, and a thorough understanding of state and federal regulations including HIPAA, FERPA, and other regulatory standards, such as PCI DSS.
Minimum Required Experience
- Associate degree in a relevant information technology field and two (2) years of technical support experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in educational technology, information technology, or a related field
About UM and Missoula
Nestled in at the base of Mount Sentinel and on the banks of the Clark Fork River, UM campus is described as one of the most beautiful in the US. The region boasts unparalleled year-round recreational opportunities and a vibrant arts and culture community. UM offers a unique opportunity for professional growth in a magnificent environment. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
UM provides a culture that values hard work, intellectual curiosity, diversity, collegiality, innovative thinking, and teamwork, making it a great place to grow and develop professionally. Located in the heart of western Montana’s stunning natural landscape, UM attracts first-rate teachers, researchers, and students from around the world. A city within a city – with its own eateries, stores, medical facilities, banking, and postal services, and zip code – UM has an increasingly diverse population and rich culture.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its essential values of innovation and creativity, impact, openness, and partnership.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- City of Missoula
Position Title: Computer Support Specialist II
Position Number: 411530
Department: Information Technology (IT)
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, 12 months/year.
Salary: $19.29/hr –Current employee’s rate of pay for this position will be determined by the staff compensation plan and will minimally be this posted salary. For questions and details regarding the staff compensation plan, email the Compensation Department .
Union Affiliation: FOCUS-MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include : Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Wednesday, October 14 , 2020 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by the ‘Priority Application Date’ will be guaranteed consideration. The position will remain open until filled. Candidates are required to submit the following materials online.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner