Founding Director, Center for Community Engagement
Develop and maintain a clearinghouse
of external community-based organizations.
Connect external organizations with
internal entities with similar goals/activities.
Expand and institutionalize existing
Cultivate new partnerships based on
SMU priorities. Cultivate and grow CCE Board(s) and community
supporters to include influential and high capacity community
Engage health care organizations,
corporations and individuals in the fundraising, friend raising,
and program development/implementation process.
Work with University Advancement
leadership to identify, submit, and secure potential private donors
and corporate and foundation grant proposals annually.
Support faculty training/development
in collaboration with SMU’s Center for Innovation and Excellence in
Learning (CIEL) in the context of community engagement and
Assist faculty to incorporate
community engagement into the curriculum and develop the related
course/program/institution learning outcomes. Facilitate formal
arrangements between SMU and external community agencies that
support attainment of the aforementioned course-level
Develop and support
academically-based community-oriented service learning.
Provide support for faculty
scholarship and service in the context of community
Support student training for how to
work in, and with, diverse and vulnerable
Serve as a bridge to community
partners in support of student interests and needs in community
Centralize outreach activities to
organizations in the communities the University serves to
strengthen current and grow potential new youth pipelines for the
Education and/or Experience:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a health-related field is required, with a Masters or Doctorate Degree preferred
- Leadership experience as a program director, department head, or other leadership title/position.
- Experience with developing community partnerships, academic collaborations, and/or student engagement and pipeline development.
- Experience with advisory councils as a member, director, or other role.
- Experience working with leaders in the community and higher education.
- Experience with grant writing/management and fundraising.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to lead the Center for Community Engagement successfully and effectively.
- Commitment to the highest moral and ethical standards.
- Knowledge of the mission of Samuel Merritt University.
- Ability to carry out prudent budget planning, staff supervision, and program oversight.
- Ability to lead in a collaborative manner, yet making prudent, timely, and sometimes difficult decisions.
- Able and committed to operating in an open, honest, and transparent procedural manner as a skilled listener and articulate communicator, who is sensitive to diverse viewpoints.
- Strong commitment to forming internal and external community partnerships, to assist with the engagement of University leaders in the community, and to look for grant and fundraising opportunities.
Physical Effort Required:
- Must have ability to move about to accomplish tasks across campus
- Physical ability to lift 25 pounds, carry, push, pull, climb, kneel, and stop
- Dexterity of the hands and fingers for computer use
- Ability to read and write complex documents
- Ability to sit or stand doing deskwork for prolonged periods of time
- Must be able to talk, express ideas by means of spoken word
- Ability to receive detailed information through verbal communication
The University has an institution-wide commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strive to build a welcoming and supportive campus environment, and acknowledge that diversity is an educational imperative to achieve excellence.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Oakland
- Academic Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Oakland
- Other Academic Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Oakland
- Jobs Outside Academe Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Oakland
- Non-profit & Government Organizations Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Oakland