Posting Number: R0003142
Location: Salem Campus
Attention Current Willamette University Employees: In order to apply for posted positions, please close this window and log into your Workday account and apply through the Career worklet.
Instructions for Applicants:
Please read the following carefully before beginning the online application process.
To be considered for employment at Willamette University, please complete our online employment application. Your application and all required attachments -- listed at the bottom of the page -- must be submitted for each individual job post that you are interested in applying for. If there is an application deadline, please ensure that your application is submitted by the deadline. Once you submit your application you will not be able to edit your application.
The Benefits Manager is a critical thinker that will lead all aspects of Willamette University's employment and compensation system. The Benefits Manager is resourceful and analytical. Reporting directly to the Assistant Vice President of Human Resources, the Benefits Manager is responsible for the planning, design, implementation, maintenance, regulatory compliance, communication, and administration of all university-wide benefits and compensation activities.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ensures and provides day-to-day administration for all University benefits and leave programs, including, but not limited to health, dental, retirement, life and disability programs, and non-core benefit programs such as voluntary benefits, credit union and convenience programs, and statutory benefit programs such as workers compensation, ADA, FMLA and OFLA. Administrative services include communications, enrollment, claims processing, claims and eligibility problem resolution, reimbursement processing, regulatory compliance including COBRA, HIPAA and DOL, vendor relationship maintenance, and enrollment/eligibility analysis and maintenance. Serves as subject matter expert regarding employee benefits and leaves.
- Maintain an advanced knowledge of FMLA, OFLA, ADA and other leave laws as required
- Manages all leaves and accommodation requests associated with disability and protected leaves in accordance with state and federal requirements ensure policies are applied accurately and consistently across the university.
- Administers workers compensation program, advising employees and managers regarding work-related injuries/illnesses and facilitating claims process and return-to-work activities. Serve as HR representative to University safety committee. Maintains appropriate filing and tracking systems and prepares and posts annual reports required by OSHA.
- Organizes, coordinates and manages the planning and production of benefit related events, including open enrollment, employee flu-shot and other health-supporting clinics, the annual benefits and wellness fair, and benefit-education meetings/presentations. May also coordinate events related to employee wellness programs that help improve employee health.
- Assists Director of Risk Management with annual insurance renewal and requests for proposal (RFP), as needed, and participates in vendor evaluation, negotiations, and implementation activities. Serves as vendor contact for day-to-day benefit plan operations.
- Works with vendors to ensure timely completion of annual 5500 reporting forms and ensures timely filing to EBSA. Ensures timely distribution of mandated communications, including, but not limited to Summary Annual Reports (SAR), Summary Plan Descriptions (SPD), and Notifications of Material Modification, as well as Medicare Part D notices, HIPAA Certificates, and COBRA notices.
- In conjunction with HRIS Analyst, completes annual benefit and compensation surveys.
Classification and Compensation:
- Manages the development, implementation, maintenance and administration of the classification and total compensation structure for the university.
- Analyzes total compensation practices in relation to internal equity and market competitiveness and recommends and implements changes as appropriate to establish and maintain competitive pay rates and ensure compensation equity.
- Responsible for monitoring executive compensation and ensuring legal and regulatory compliance.
- In coordination the Employment Manager, conduct job analysis to determine appropriate market pricing; review and approve salary increases and advise management on compensation actions for employees.
- Maintain knowledge of government regulations, compensation trends, and practices among similar organizations.
- Develop, maintain, and continuously improve processes, systems and technology, measurement practices, and metrics reporting for the HR community.
- Support larger HR initiatives by ensuring continuity and successful delivery of functional service.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Bachelor's degree
- A minimum of three to five years of experience managing the benefits, development, administration, and evaluation of compensation/classification programs, exhibiting knowledge of program principles and practices, preferably in a higher education or equivalent environment.
- Knowledge of laws and best practices related to essential functions.
- Knowledge and understanding of various workplace and employment regulations including but not limited to Fair Labor Standards Act, Oregon Pay Equity Act, Equal Employment Opportunity and other federal and state laws that apply to compensation, classification and hiring.
- Strong project management skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong critical thinking, creative problem solving, and decision-making skills.
- Advanced experience with Excel.
- Workday experience.
Typical Work Schedule:
- Typical office work week.
Physical Demands & Working Conditions:
- Typical work is performed indoors in a normal office environment.
Approved salary range $65,000 - $75,000
All University positions require that candidates submit to a criminal conviction record check prior to hire. Conviction does not automatically preclude candidates from being hired. Nature of conviction will be considered relative to the duties of the position.
You will need to upload the following two documents as part of your application materials in the "My Experience" section labeled Resume:
- Cover letter addressing the required/desired qualifications and presenting any other applicant characteristics which deserve emphasis
- Current Resume
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Apply online at https://willamette.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/willametteuniversityjobs/job/Salem-Campus/Benefits-and-Compensation-Manager_R0003142
Believing that diversity contributes to academic excellence and to rich and rewarding communities, WU is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body. We seek candidates, particularly those from historically under-represented groups, whose work furthers diversity and who bring to campus varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds.