Assistant Professor of Computer Science
Assistant Professor of Computer Science
Position Number 999376
Department Computer Science
Angelo State University is seeking a dynamic and energetic computer science faculty member to join our team in the growing Department of Computer Science. Angelo State University is an Hispanic Serving Institution and member of the Texas Tech University System. The successful candidate will play a strong role in improving the current Computer Science program, developing new programs, and contributing to our growing cybersecurity program. We anticipate pursuing ABET accreditation for the Computer Science program in the near future. This position is a full-time, nine-month Assistant Professor position and would start in Spring of 2021. Effective teaching, service, and publications in refereed journals are required for tenure.
Typical Duties/Job Duties
The successful candidate will be expected to:
Teach 24 semester credit hours of computer science courses each academic year,
Teach a wide range of courses in computer science, including database systems, operating systems, and machine learning,
Engage in research activities and university service,
Assist in curriculum and program development, as well as assessment activities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of and commitment to a student-centered environment,
Knowledge of effective teaching strategies,
Skill in teaching,
Skill in creating active, innovative student learning environments,
Skill in applying technology to improve student learning,
Ability to teach online and face to face,
Ability to teach graduate courses,
Ability to create environments conducive to the academic success of women, Hispanic, and other underrepresented student groups,
Ability to develop an ongoing undergraduate research program.
Earned Ph.D. in Computer Science or related field,
Record of scholarly research and publications,
Record of teaching computer science courses.
Strong preference will be given to candidates who has:
Experience in or potential to teach and develop courses in cybersecurity, including operating systems, computer networks, machine learning, data analysis, information and data security.
Extensive experience in teaching undergraduate and graduate courses in computer science, specifically in one or more of the following areas: database systems, operating systems, machine learning,
Experience in new computer science course development,
Strong commitment to graduate teaching and research, and experience in advising graduate students,
Strong record of research publications,
Experience in program assessment and accreditation.
Angelo State University is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting and ensuring equal employment opportunity for all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Angelo State University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to employment opportunities for qualified individuals with disabilities. We are committed to ensuring that a qualified individual with a disability has the same rights and privileges in employment as non-disabled employees. If an accommodation is requested for the job application process, please contact our office at (325) 942-2168 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posting Number F136P
Open Date 09/28/2020
Close Date 10/16/2020
Desired Start Date 01/04/2021
Review Start Date 10/19/2020
Special Instructions to Applicants
1. In the Cover Letter (2-page maximum), applicant should discuss their interest and abilities in undergraduate education and involving undergraduate students in their research consistent with the objectives of the university.
2. In the Curriculum Vitae, applicant should include a complete list of publications, all relevant teaching, advising, new course development, and service experience including course and program assessment.
3. In the Teaching Statement document (3-page maximum), applicants should present their previous undergraduate and graduate teaching and advising experience, and how they would create active and innovative student learning environments.
4. In the Research Statement document (3-page maximum), applicants should present their current research experience and discuss their future research plans. A discussion on involving undergraduate students in their research consistent with the objectives of the university is also expected.
5. In the required “Commitment to Diversity Statement” (2-page maximum), applicants should discuss how they will help achieve Angelo State University’s goal to attract and graduate more women, Hispanic, and students from other underrepresented groups.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in San Angelo
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in San Angelo
- Computer Sciences & Technology Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in San Angelo