Registration and Records Specialist
Located along Florida’s I-4 High Tech Corridor, Florida Poly opened its doors in August 2014 as the state’s 12th university and the only one dedicated to core subjects in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM education). The non-traditional academic environment focuses on applied learning, specifically in technology and engineering. Small class sizes give faculty the opportunity to work closely with high-caliber students, and the most advanced technology, including a Supercomputer, 3D printing lab, media lab and nanotechnology lab, sets Florida Poly apart from other state universities. Florida Poly’s innovative approach to higher education allows students to learn strong fundamentals within a traditional university department structure, while giving them opportunities to apply their learning through research and projects in emerging high-tech concentrations like Cyber Security, Big Data Analytics, Machine Intelligence and more. The University partners closely with industry leading firms, and faculty members are rewarded for more than just publishing. Industry involvement, problem solving, and the commercialization of technology and research through start-ups and small businesses are encouraged.
Registration and Records SpecialistJob Description Summary
Florida’s only public university exclusively teaching science,
technology, engineering and math (STEM) is looking for exceptional
candidates to serve as the Registration & Records Specialist in
the Office of the Registrar.
The Registration & Records Specialist is responsible for coordinating and executing all aspects of the registration process and maintaining student records in the Student Information System (SIS) utilizing technology to complete processes. This position interacts regularly with internal and external customers and applies FERPA knowledge as it relates to student records and registration. This person provides excellent customer service and is expected to assist in maintaining this quality by regularly reviewing FAQ’s and then, coordinate with appropriate stakeholders to update forms and processes pertaining to records and registration. Work is performed under general supervision of the University Registrar.
- Manage and complete tasks related to all aspects of the registration process, including but not limited to priority registration assistance, processing various types of schedule changes and withdrawals, waitlists, setup of priority time assignments, independent study processing, internship registrations, employee and non-degree registrations, appropriate communications to students, faculty, or Department Chairs.
- Manage and complete transfer course related items, such as the review of domestic and international transcripts, determining appropriate applicability, entering transfer credit into the system, and answering questions regarding applicability.
- Create block schedules for new incoming students and register students.
- Provide excellent customer service during registration and at all times during the year.
- Execute data clean-up reports, maintain data integrity by rectifying errors, and follow-up as needed, like missing pre-requisites, missing Week 1 attendance, missing or incorrectly entered grades. Communicating with students, faculty, or Department Chairs.
- Analyze forms to detect forged signatures and maintain signature files.
- Assist faculty with data requests as needed and appropriate, such as providing rosters or student transcripts to faculty.
- Responsible for soliciting grades from faculty, monitoring grade entry by faculty and communicating grade entry issues, entering individual grade changes, midterm and final grades to students, midterms to advisors.
- Communicate in a friendly and professional manner with students, faculty, staff, and administration to resolve any difficulties.
- Managing and complete the processes to update student records, such as demographic information changes, major changes, advisor and catalog changes, and any additional records process in order to ensure that student records are up to date and accurate.
- Audit electronic files to ensure that each record contains all necessary documentation. Communicates with appropriate person to obtain required documentation and updates files.
- Back-up for front desk to answer phones, assist customers, and process transcript requests, degree verifications, and enrollment verifications.
- Assist in identifying areas of improvement for processes and procedures to improve the student and customer experience.
- Assist in orientation and commencement activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of and ability to operate in accordance with Federal, State and local laws and guidelines, including FERPA regulations, Florida State BOG Regulations, and Florida Polytechnic University rules and policies.
- Skilled in problem solving including research and presentation of solutions.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information in the utmost professional manner.
- Ability to organize work effectively, conceptualize and prioritize objectives and exercise independent judgment based on an understanding of organizational policies and activities.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with student, faculty, staff and the public.
- Excellent customer service skills that are friendly, courteous, and professional and able to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Proficient use of a personal computer, MS Office Suite, and other office equipment. Able to learn quickly new software and technology.
- Capable of handling difficult situations in a calm and fair manner.
- A bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization and two years of job-related experience, preferably in a Registrar’s Office setting; or an associate degree and four years of job-related experience, preferably in Registrar’s Office setting.
- Higher education experience in a Registrar’s Office.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- This position requires a criminal background check, which may include a Level II screening as required by Florida Statute §435.04.
- This position is subject to federal and state privacy regulations.
This position requires a background check, which may include a level II screening as required by the Florida Statute §435.04.