Chief Legal Counsel
Chief Legal Counsel
North Carolina Central University
Closing Date: 10/22/2020 at 11:55 PM
Primary Purpose of Position:
The Chief Legal Counsel reports directly to the Chancellor of the University and serves on the Chancellor's Executive Leadership Team. As the University's chief legal officer, the Chief Legal Counsel has significant responsibilities related to the governance system, ethical behavior of all leadership, and regulatory compliance. The role is responsible for providing broad policy advice to the Chancellor and the Chancellor's executive leadership team, as well as providing respected personnel advice on a broad range of issues related to senior leadership.
The position requires a minimum of ten years of legal practice experience in a relevant area, having attained a senior position of responsibility in firm, corporation, government agency, or other organization that employs the individual; hold a JD degree from an American Bar Association accredited law school, be a member in good standing of the Bar of the state or recognized jurisdiction in which the individual practices law; and have the prompt eligibility for such license and standing in North Carolina.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Familiarity with a broad array of legal issues that arise in a higher education setting and/or experience as counsel in higher education is preferred. Additional qualifications include:
• Experience in a broad spectrum of state and federal legal issues affecting higher education, including tort law, intellectual property rights, human resources law, worker’s compensation and occupational health law, student legal issues, and the ability to conduct legal research and analysis
• Strong diplomatic and interpersonal skills,
• Keen sense of contemporary diversity issues,
• Superior oral and written communication skills
• An ability to manage and prioritize a large and varied workload
• An established reputation for honesty and integrity
• Demonstrate the ability to provide leadership and direction for the legal staff
• A collaborative work style and the ability to work effectively as part of an institutional leadership team
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://jobs.nccu.edu/
North Carolina Central University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.