We're the University of South Alabama. South, for short. Home to more than 14,000 students and more than 100 academic programs, South is a dynamic community of leaders and learners who support and challenge one another to be actively engaged citizens who advance the Gulf Coast region and the world. Founded in 1963, South's vision is to foster an environment that couples engaging learning experiences with high-level research, enabling our faculty and students to be leaders in their disciplines.
The unique and beautiful Gulf Coast region is a catalyst for discovery and innovation, and South's 1,200-acre campus has been transformed over the past decade with new facilities and resources for teaching, housing and recreation, health sciences, the arts, engineering, computer science and athletics.
Jaguar athletes compete in 17 NCAA Division I sports, including baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, soccer, softball, tennis, track and field, and volleyball.
The coastal region is healthier because of the USA Health system. Through its five components — Children's & Women's Hospital, University Hospital, Mitchell Cancer Institute, USA Health Physicians Group and the College of Medicine — and supported by the College of Nursing and the Pat Capps Covey College of Allied Health Professions — USA Health provides care to hundreds of thousands of people, and is a training ground for future physicians and healthcare professionals.
The University has implemented a strategic plan that is organized around five major priorities: Student Access and Success, Enhancement of Research and Graduate Education, Global Engagement, Excellence in Health Care, and University-Community Engagement. These priorities are the guiding influence in developing a strong, consistent vision for the future of the University.
USA is a place where students discover and strengthen their career passions, and form connections that result in lifelong relationships. At South, we look at the world and see things that we have the power to change, affect and shape — together. So that's exactly what we do, every single day.
We are South!
- Provides leadership and direction for the university residential experience which includes business operations, facilities management, and residence life.
- Ensures efficient department and facilities operations.
- Manages strategic planning and financial operations.
- Develops and guides student programming to enhance student development and retention.
- Sets Housing goals and coordinates assessment efforts.
- Provides leadership and direction for residence life including an emphasis on student development and retention; develops and oversees residential communities that utilize best practices in student development and research to create engaging learning environments.
- Implements strategies for residence education using statistical data to develop comprehensive learning outcomes.
- Plans and directs risk management and crisis response.
- Responds in a timely manner to resident, parent, faculty, staff and other stakeholder concerns.
- Oversees business operations and facility management to complement the mission and goals of the University.
- Develops and oversees implementation of housing operation and management policies.
- Manages the strategic planning and financial operation of the residence halls including administration and sound fiscal management of the operating budget.
- Evaluates and assesses housing occupancy and projection trends.
- Confirms room assignments and billing are completed and communicated.
- Directs department assessment efforts, including the annual resident satisfaction survey.
- Oversees development and Implementation of marketing and communication strategies.
- Provides leadership for the overall planning of department facilities operations including but not limited to: maintenance and custodial operations, contracted services, technology improvements, property control and inventory.
- Ensures residential facilities maintain a safe, secure, and healthy livening environment.
- Devises capital improvement schedule and adjusts as needed.
- Provides leadership in planning, development, design, and construction of new and renovated facilities.
- Serves on division and university committees.
- Establishes cooperative relationships and serves as liaison to Student Affairs, Academic Affairs, and Financial Affairs departments.
- Utilizes a University vehicle to travel to various housing facilities.
- Supervises staff to include assigning duties, checking work, approving time off, handling disciplinary issues, and preparing evaluations.
- Responsible for establishing job standards for subordinate staff and effectively evaluating staff under supervision. Directs staff development of goals, objectives, and timelines that match institutional and divisional goals as outlined in the University's strategic plan.
- Regular and prompt attendance.
- Ability to work schedule as defined and additional hours as required.
- Related duties as required.
- Master's degree in higher education, student affairs administration, educational policy, educational leadership, adult development, counseling or a related field from an accredited institution as approved and accepted by the University of South Alabama and six years of progressively responsible related supervisory experience in a higher education environment, and possession of a valid driver's license and maintenance of a driving record sufficient to maintain insurance coverage under the University of South Alabama.
- A doctorate degree is preferred.
EO/AA Employer –