Assistant Professor of Graphic Design, Tenure Track, August 2021
The Art Department, within Wilkinson College of Arts, Humanities
and Social Sciences, at Chapman University invites applications for
a tenure-track Assistant Professor of Graphic Design, beginning
August 2021 pending budgetary approval and the lifting of the
Chapman University is a nationally-ranked institution offering traditional undergraduate and graduate programs in the heart of Orange County, one of Southern California’s most diverse and vibrant regions. We are located in close proximity to excellent design firms, 3 AIGA chapters, museums, and an engaging design community. The University achieved R2 status in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education, a distinction held by just 10 percent of all U.S. universities. Our faculty include academic leaders who excel in research, publishing and world-class teaching in our 11 schools and colleges, including Wilkinson College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences. Dedicated to forward-looking, personalized education, we create an environment for unlimited achievement by both our students and faculty. The Graphic Design Program is part of the Art Department which includes two other areas, Art History and Studio Art. The Graphic Design program, which has three other full time faculty, emphasizes research methods, process, interdisciplinarity, conceptual design methods, appropriate aesthetics, history, writing development, verbal articulation, and training in technology that prepare the student to enter the graphic design and digital media profession. More information about the Department of Art, Wilkinson College, and the University is available at https://www.chapman.edu/wilkinson/index.aspx.
The University is dedicated to enhancing diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruitment and employment. More information on diversity and inclusion at Chapman University is available at https://www.chapman.edu/diversity.
The Graphic Design Program encourages applications from
candidates with a record of teaching experience, a teaching
portfolio with examples of student work, experience with curricular
development and interdisciplinary practices, commitment to
mentoring students, managing, and maintaining the graphic design
program, and a track-record of strong creative scholarship.
• Minimum of five years working in the professional field to teach undergraduate courses in the Graphic Design Program.
• Terminal degree
• Maintain appropriate design research or distinguished body of creative work for tenure consideration in graphic design, information design, or human-centered design.
• Desirable secondary area includes web design, motion design or UI/ UX, interaction design.
• Graduate program teaching and administrative experience highly desirable.
• Be able to demonstrate approaches to diversity and inclusion in teaching, scholarship and/or service.
Responsibilities In addition to teaching upper and lower division core undergraduate graphic design courses, full-time tenure-track faculty are required to advise and mentor BFA Graphic Design majors and minors, develop and maintain an active research agenda for future tenure consideration and provide service to the Program, Art Department, College and University. (Tenure-track faculty are evaluated on their scholarly/creative activity, teaching, and service.)
Applications must include:
- Letter of interest
- Chapman faculty application
- Curriculum vitae
- Design portfolio (a minimum of 15 projects)
- Teaching portfolio (Teaching statement/ philosophy, 20 examples of student work, sample syllabi, and previous teaching evaluations)
- Statement on diversity in the candidate’s research and pedagogy. See https://www.chapman.edu/diversity/guidance-for-writing-inclusive-excellence-activities-statement.pdf
Please submit all materials electronically to Claudine Jaenichen, Graphic Design Search Committee Chair, care of Jeanie Randazzo at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please use “Graphic Design Faculty Position” as the email subject line.
Candidates should also forward separately three letters of reference to: Graphic Design Search Committee, Department of Art, Chapman University, One University Drive, Orange CA 92866.
Application review begins January 2, 2021 and continues until the position is filled. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Chapman University offers a relocation expense reimbursement package as well as a first-time Orange County homebuyer assistance program. Successful completion of a background check is required for the final candidate. This position is subject to final budget approval.
Download a copy of the Chapman Faculty Application for Employment here.
Chapman University is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community. The University is dedicated to enhancing diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruitment and employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. The University is committed to achieving a diverse faculty and staff and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply.
Chapman University, One University Drive, Orange, CA 92866 Human Resources Department
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Orange
- Arts Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Orange
- Design & Graphic Arts Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Orange
- Other Arts Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Orange