Director, Small Business Development Center
Director, Small Business Development Center
Posting Number: 0000982
PS Position#: 00000229
Position Status: Full-Time
Salary: Starting salary range is based on the Lee College Administrative/Administrative Support Salary Scale, C51. Initial salary offer is commensurate with education and related work experience.
Department: Workforce & Community Development
Job Summary/Basic Function:
Directs and operates the Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Lee College. The Lee SBDC is a center of the University of Houston Texas Gulf Coast SBDC Network (UH TGCN). This position reports to the Director of Workforce Development at Lee College and the Small Business Development Center (SBDC) Regional Office at the UH TGCN.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide overall management of the SBDC at Lee College in
accordance with the established federal, state and local
guidelines. Provide business advising and training to small
businesses and entrepreneurs in several surrounding counties.
Supervise business advisors, an administrative assistant and
student workers on a day to day basis.
- Conduct client advising sessions, performing financial,
operational and administrative analyses, prepare recommendations
that result in positive economic impact. Assistance includes, but
is not limited to, analyzing specific business and industry data in
finance, marketing, management and operations; human resources and
related issues; supporting the development of business plans and
financial packages, calculating and interpreting historical and
projected financial ratios, preparing pro forma cash flow and
financial statements; troubleshooting to identify problems and
areas for improvement.
- Provide guidance on expansion such as foreign markets and
technology commercialization when needed.
- Develop and facilitate training workshops for area
entrepreneurs and businesses.
- Meet and/or exceed annual assigned performance metrics both
individually and collectively with the business advisors to meet
SBDC goals as set forth in the annual sub-recipient
- Provide budget development and management, technical and
performance reporting as required by Lee College, internal audit
and the UH TGCN. Manage client records via specified client
- Initiate, build and maintain relationships with key
stakeholders to include the SBA and its resource partners, Chambers
of Commerce, economic development organizations and
- Coordinate, as appropriate, with faculty to engage students on
targeted SBDC client projects.
- Keep records and submit timely reports as required by the
College and the UH TGCN regional office.
- Maintain a relevant, efficient resource and information center,
collect and accurately report client data.
- Contribute to the overall success of the Lee College
- Attend local community events related to small business and all college events related to the center.
Other duties and responsibilities may include, but or not limited to:
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Excellent benefits accrue with this full-time position. This is a grant-funded position. Continuation of the position is based on the continuation of the grant and satisfactory job performance. This is a security sensitive position.
Lee College does not discriminate on the basis of gender, disability, race, color, age, religion, national origin, or veteran status.
- Bachelor’s (or higher) degree
- Seven (7) years of related work experience in business
consulting/advising or direct entrepreneurial experience in
launching and operating a small business
- Knowledge of marketing, financing/capital formation, human
resources, budgeting/account, strategic planning, and other
operational areas necessary to assist clients in starting a
business and/or manage a growing business
- Some travel required. Travel is typically confined to the Lee
College service area; however, professional development may require
participation in conferences or similar activities at locations
throughout the state of Texas
- Able to build relationships with private entities, chambers,
corporations, entrepreneurial and banking/investment
- Able to work independently, with good interpersonal
- Display initiative and demonstrate professionalism
- Able to handle multiple projects and meet assigned annual
- Must have strong oral and written communication skills, public
speaking and training skills required
- Knowledge of MicroSoft Office Suite, CRM database knowledge,
and industry and market research skills
- This position requires travel within the service area, as well
as out of town to attend meetings, training and/or
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as required
- Master’s (or higher) degree
Campus/Location: Main Campus - Baytown, TX
If other, provide location:
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
This position requires applicants to attach the following documents: resume, cover letter, and copies of transcripts for all completed college work. (Official transcripts required upon employment.)
In addition, applicants must include a minimum of three (3) professional references in the Reference section of the online application.
Please do not mail, email, fax, or deliver any documents outside of the electronic application process.
To apply, visit https://jobs.lee.edu/postings/6590
Lee College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, which encourages applications from qualified females, minority groups, veterans, and disabled individuals. It is the policy of Lee College to fully comply with the equal opportunity provisions of all applicable regulations and not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of gender, disability, race, color, age, religion, national origin, or veteran status in areas such as recruitment, selections, training, promotion, demotion, layoffs, terminations, rates of pay, or any other forms of compensation or benefits.