University of Alabama at Birmingham
Management, Information Systems, and Quantitative Methods
The University of Alabama at Birmingham seeks candidates for the Management, Information Systems, and Quantitative Methods (MISQ), Department Chair in the Collat School of Business.
This is a strategic opportunity for the MISQ Department Chair to shape and implement a vision for the department that will impact the business school, UAB, and in Birmingham’s business and entrepreneurial ecosystems. The chair advances the school’s growth objectives, helps create distinctive programs, promotes teaching excellence, influences student success measures, forges high-impact partnerships, coordinates external alliances, and supports infrastructure developments as articulated by the school’s strategic plan.
About the University of Alabama at Birmingham
UAB is a Carnegie R1 institution that includes a comprehensive
university and a major medical center. UAB makes discoveries,
teaches many diverse learners, and applies knowledge for the
intellectual, cultural, social, and economic benefit of its
community, region, the nation, and beyond. UAB is internationally
renowned for its collaborative culture and major breakthroughs in
education, healthcare, research, and service engagements. UAB
recently celebrated its 50th anniversary. An urban research
university with a world-class academic medical center, UAB is
enjoying a period of year-over-year growth as a nationally
prominent academic institution and creates $7.15 billion in
economic impact in Alabama. The university currently has over
22,000 students, over $525 million in research expenditures, and
the medical center treats over 1,000,000 patients annually. UAB has
been recognized as the No. 1 young university in the United States
for two years (2018, 2019) and #10 worldwide (2018) in Times Higher
Education World University Rankings.
About the Collat School of Business
With 3,500 students and 100 faculty and staff, The Collat School
of Business is located in the heart of Birmingham’s business
center. UAB’s urban identity and location allow the integration of
practical experiences from the ecosystem with classroom learning in
powerful ways. The school is accredited at the highest levels of
the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
and Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) for all of
its business programs, along with an additional accreditation for
accounting. The school is performing strongly and it plays a
significant role in advancing UAB’s strategic vision for social and
economic impact in the Birmingham region.
The full position profile can be found here: https://koyapartners.com/search/uab-department-chair-misq-collat/
Key responsibilities include developing and implementing
department-level strategy coordinated with the school and the
University. Specific activities include shaping the future of the
department in partnership with faculty and staff, developing and
articulating a vision and metrics for indexing successes and
impact, and building and expanding existing programs. The chair
advocates and models principles of shared governance and fosters a
hospitable climate that encourages engagement, participation,
collegiality, inspiration, and innovation. The chair promotes
high-quality teaching and learning, supports the enhancement of
innovative pedagogies, and fosters a high-quality academic
environment for faculty research and service leadership. The chair
represents the department and builds support and visibility for it
both internally and externally with UAB, alumni, industry and
business partners, professional organizations and associations, and
government. The chair also identifies and facilitates revenue
generating opportunities for the department and school, and
participates in various alumni and development events related to
- Earned doctoral degree from AACSB-accredited institution in Management, Information Systems, Management Science, Business Analytics, Entrepreneurship, or similar area.
- Academic record and credentials qualifying the candidate for the rank of Full Professor on the UAB faculty. Senior Associate Professors with comparable records and credentials may also apply.
- Distinguished academic career with nationally and internationally-recognized contributions.
- Considerable experiences with teaching, research, and administration in university settings.
- An orientation for supporting colleagues in ways that relate effectively to their individual specific interests and championing the success of diverse colleagues.
- Experience with conceiving, developing, and growing traditional and online academic programs, certificates, and/or professional education programs.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the higher education industry in general, and of business academia at national and global levels in particular.
- Strong commitment to high standards, innovation, and rigor in teaching and research.
- Professional managerial experience with leading, coaching, and mentoring teams, faculty, instructors, and staff.
- Strong commitment and acumen for building inclusive communities and driving diversification of a department, school, and university community, especially with regard to women and under-represented students, staff, and faculty.
- Demonstrable commitment to sustaining and developing high-quality student experiences and promoting remarkable student successes.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills that engender confidence, build trust, and display respect.
- Ability to find and create creative solutions to conflicts and build consensus around new or disruptive ideas and initiatives.
- Strong time management, organizational, and fiscal management skills.
Information and How to Apply
The University of Alabama at Birmingham’s Collat School of Business invites applications for Chair of the Department of Management, Information Systems, and Quantitative Methods (MISQ). The new Chair will commence serving in the position on July 1, 2021. UAB offers a very competitive salary and benefits package for this position, along with attractive benefits from the University of Alabama System.
UAB has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help with the search for qualified candidates. Submit a comprehensive CV, expression of interest, or nominations and references to Beth Schaefer and Josyanne Roche here: https://koyapartners.com/search/uab-department-chair-misq-collat/
Specific questions about the position may be directed to the Chair of the Search Committee, Dr. Patrick J. Murphy, UAB Goodrich Endowed Chair and Professor, at 206-486-5163 or email@example.com, as well as Beth Schaefer at Koya: firstname.lastname@example.org.
A pre-employment background check investigation is performed on candidates selected for employment. UAB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable and family-friendly environment in which all faculty and staff can excel and achieve work/life balance irrespective of, race, national origin, age, genetic or family medical history, gender, faith, gender identity and expression as well as sexual orientation. UAB also encourages applications from individuals with disabilities and veterans.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Birmingham
- Business & Management Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Birmingham
- Management Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Birmingham
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Birmingham
- Computer Sciences & Technology Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Birmingham