Medical Social Worker
Seeking a Licensed Medical Social Worker who is interested in providing case management to Cystic Fibrosis patients. The Social Worker will helps assess and council patients on the emotional, social, and financial aspects of living with the progressive, genetic disease. The Social Worker will be a strong advocate for patients and help them to prepare for transitioning from a Pediatric program to an Adult Cystic Fibrosis program or transition in/out of Lung Transplant care. This position will work with a highly motivated and multi-disciplinary team, alongside physicians, nurses, dietitians, and medical assistants. In addition, the Social Worker will be cross-trained to assist in the Transition Medicine clinic. This position will provide case management to our patients and will assess patients, family, and guardians and/or caregivers to obtain history pertaining to medical diagnosis, familial patterns, and social environment. The Social Work team splits their time between seeing patients in clinic and following up on patient care items that are routed via phone, email, MyChart and InBasket within Epic.
- Interviews patients, family, and guardians and/or caregivers to obtain history pertaining to medical diagnosis, familial patterns, and social environment.
- Assesses each patient during initial contact (New Office Visit).
- Assesses patient's Anxiety and Depression using the PHQ-9 and GAD-7 questionnaires on a regular basis
- Provides documentation on all encounters with patient via Epic.
- Arranges transportation for patients to physicians' appointments for patients that may need to be transported by ambulance and/or other methods.
- Contacts DME/Home Health Agencies, Case Managers, MTM/Metro Lift, Counseling Agencies, etc. to secure services and resources for patients.
- Uploads paperwork and forms to the Media tab within the patient's Chart in Epic as needed.
- Confirms patient's insurance and benefits are up to date and active. Helps patient's navigate insurance/benefits as they arise.
- Serves as a Field Instructor for undergraduate and graduate social work students who are selected to intern with the Baylor Transition Medicine clinic. Facilitates individual and group supervision learning sessions with student interns. Creates and assigns projects and tasks for student interns. Completes evaluation forms at the end of internship rotation.
- Provides Social Work Consults to General Internal Medicine patients as requested by their physicians.
- Participates in Quality Improvement projects with Social Work team members and/or clinic team members.
- Attends the Annual North American Cystic Fibrosis Conference and Annual Chronic Illness and Disability Conference.
- Bachelor's degree in Social Work, Counseling or in a related field.
- One year of relevant experience.
- Licensed Baccalaureate Social Worker (LBSW) or Licensed Master's Social Worker (LMSW) by the Texas State Board of Social Worker Examiners (TSBSWE).
Master's degree in Social Work from a school approved by the Council in Social Work education
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Other Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Social Work & Human Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston